Search

Tucson itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tucson itinerary

My husband and I just obtained a week off in late October and thought we might visit the Tucson area (probably flying in and out of Phoenix). Can anyone suggest a week-long driving itinerary that has plenty of scenic walking/easy hiking, a visit to the observatory, and perhaps some Spanish and native American history?
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 03:41 AM

Kitt Peak Observatory is 37 mile southwest of Tucson. For hiking, Sabino Canyon, Mt. Lemmon, Madera Canyon, Saguaro National Monument(east and west) I could go on for ever. I've lived in Tucson for over 30 years. Send me any question you want, I'll try to answer it.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Chiricahua Nat Monument, BIsbee (take the Copper Queen mine tour), Tombstone, Patagonia, Tubac, Organ Pipe Nat Monument
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Sabino Canyon is a must. Take the tram to the top and hike down.
Also, the Desert Museum is outstanding. For a day's drive go to Bisbee (and tour the mine). And, Tombstone is hokey but fun.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:02 PM
E

I second (or third?): Saguaro Nat'l Monument, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (right next door to each other), Bisbee (take the mine tour, eat at Cafe Roka), Chiricahua Nat'l Monument, Patagonia/Sonoita (which you could drive through, sort of, on your way to Bisbee from Tucson). I would add San Xavier del Bac, an old Spanish Cathedral on an Indian reservation outside of Tucson, AKA the White Dove of the Desert; and perhaps Tubac, which is a dusty little town with a proliferation of shops with an emphasis on the artisanal, some cool, others funky, still others kind of touristy--skip it if you don't want to shop.
I generally vote against Tombstone, which I think is kind of dull, but the drive out there and surrounding country are scenic, or can be if you take the right route(s).
If time remains, I'd also suggest Ramsey Canyon Preserve in Hereford, near Sierra Vista, and hiking some of the canyons of the Huachuca Mountains; and Coronado National Monument, also in Hereford.
If you invest in a map, you'll see that all of the above can be combined in various ways; that is, you could hit San Xavier on your way to Bisbee, or hit Bisbee on your way back from Chiricahua, etc.
Happy Trails!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:40 PM

Head to Kartchner Caverns. They're pretty amazing.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:46 PM

I was totally unimpressed with Tombstone. I wish I could have made it to Bisbee, though. I also spend a nice half-day shopping and eating in Nogales, Mexico, which is only a one hour drive from Tucson.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Do you think I should base myself in Tucson and do day trips to these sites, or travel some sort of loop and stay in a couple different places?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:45 PM

I think you be fine if you have Tucson as a home base. Some advice though, do not stay in the downtown area, it's just not a good idea. Also, I'm glad someone had a nice time in Nogales, however, it's really not a safe place anymore. Other places to check out that are near the border are Amado and Tubac, a better alternative. Also, The San Xavier Mission is a beautiful church rich in culture.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Agree with azgirl about downtown everywhere else is fine-lots of nice places on the east side and in the foothills(north).Along wiht E, azgirl has good ideas!Nogales isn't really worth it. Tubac is a terrific day trip!
Bisbee would be fun for a night-hotel is the Copper Queen azgirl? The southeast corner and Chiricahua or Madera Canyon would be worth your time. I am a Tucson native, went to college there and was a docent at at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (DO NOT MISS IT!)I have since moved away but visit often. It is so nice to see people who live there giving good advice! Enjoy!
R5
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:13 AM

Copper Queen hotel is a good idea, unique hotel. I'm a Tucson native also, I moved away a few years ago, but came back. I couldn't find any better weather.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 09:51 AM
E

I think you'd be fine basing yourself in Tucson and doing daytrips, but a lot of the places we've all mentioned--Tubac, San Xavier, Bisbee, Chricahua, Patagonia--will have you driving down the same stretch of I-10 over and over, since they couldn't all be done in one day (obviously). So staying a night or two in Bisbee would be a good idea; I, too, would suggest the Copper Queen for its historic ambience, although not for the food. Enjoy!
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone. Yesterday I booked the flights and will be in the Tucson area for 6 nights. I'm leaning toward staying 4 nights at Casa Tierra, a B&B west of Tucson that's near the entrance to Saguaro NP, and taking day trips to Saguaro, the Desert Museum, Tucson historic district, Kitt Peak Observatory, Sabino Canyon and the Sky Island Scenic Byway.

Then we'd drive south, visiting Tubac, Nogales and the Titan missle and stay in Bisbee for two nights. We'd spend a day in Chiricahua. (Another option is one night in Bisbee and the last night in some Tucson hotel.)

What do you think?
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Souns like a good plan, Sabino Canyon might be an hour drive though, it's on the other side of Tucson. However, it's a must see. I would definitely skip Nogales. It's dirty and not safe. If you want some tourist stuff from Mexico, The Tanque Verde Swap meet has all that stuff. It's not a great place either, but it's safer.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 06:04 PM

One more website is DoTucson.com
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 12:03 PM
E

I think that sounds great--and I hope you like Casa Tierra, we really do! (Go for 2 nights in Bisbee, as Chiricahua will be one very full day.)