One day in Phoenix/Scottsdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Tucson for a week just before Christmas and have one extra day at the end to stay in Scottsdale/Phoenix area. We've been to Scottsdale and like it a lot but are looking for suggestions for things to do for one day either in the south side of the cities or between there and Tucson.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If it is hot try a trip up Mt. Lemmon. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...n-Arizona.html
Summerland is slowly recovering from a devastating forest fire.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - we plan to go up there during the week we are in Tucson. Looking for recommendations for closer to Phoenix/Scottsdale.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There is really nothing to see between Tucson and Phoenix/Scottsdale except Pichaco Peak which you can see while driving by it. Get the ride on I-10 over and visit The Heard Museum in Phoenix;it's wonderful, Native American art. Or Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio Taliesen West is very interesting too.
Also, the zoo, botanical gardens, etc.
If you're into shopping, Scottsdale offers many choices.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 04:43 PM

The three things I liked best in Phoenix were Taliesen West, the Heard Museum, and the Desert Botanical Garden.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM

The MIM - Musical Instrument Museum!

We weren't sure what it would be like but figured it would be good for an hour or 2. We were there several hours and would have gladly stayed longer if we didn't have other plans.

http://www.themim.org/

And also agree with Taliesen West [read: "Loving Frank" by Nancy Moran first]; The Heard and Desert Botanical Garden.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Hi Judy P - /Are you looking for outdoorsy sort of things? If so, we have great hiking - ie: Camelback Mountain is my favorite urban hike. Or there's Tempe Lake/Papago Park area with many outdoor sort of things to do like paddle boats, walkingjogging trails, hiking, zoo, desert botanical garden. Often times on the weekends Tempe Lake has events like 10k's with music, food, booths, etc...

Another favorite thing that visitors like to do is visit Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flats along the Apache Trail. At Canyon Lake there is a riverboat sort of cruise called the Dolly Madison. If you only have one day, though, you may not want to spend it doing this as you'll be in the car for a good part of it as the drive along the Apache Trail is pretty slow traveling.

If you are more interested in something sports related you could go to a sporting event like professional or college football game, professional hockey, college or professional basketball. If you are looking for a "western" theme, then you might like Cavecreek/Carefree. They have shops, restaurants, hiking, horseback riding, ATV's, etc...

Finally, if you are looking for a more metropolitan/city kind of day, we have the Scottsdale 5th Ave Shops/Scottsdale River Front which is a fun place to shop, eat/drink, etc....or you could visit one of our 5 star resorts and go to the spa or golf. We have some fantastic spas - my personal favorite is the one at Camelback Inn. Troon is one of many really great golf courses in the area.

I was born and raised in the midwest but have lived in AZ for about 25 years - I did my undergraduate and graduate studies at ASU and I enjoy a fairly broad range of activities so I may not be a resident expert on AZ but I probably could provide some decent ideas.

If you have any questions about the things I've mentioned or if you are able to narrow down the sort of things you are looking to do, I'd be happy to try to help. Let me know.