Fenway Bleachers with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are a family of six going to Boston for 10 days. We love baseball and were able to get tickets to a Red Sox game. The only seats we could get were in bleacher section 38. Our kids are two boys ages 15 and 14, and 9 year old twin girls. Are we crazy? Just how rowdy does it get, and is it safe to be there with little kids? We are taking the red line in from Quincy Adams T station...will that be a safe trip after a night game? Probably should have asked this all before we got the tickets
-- A nervous mom
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Hi,

Yes, the Bleachers are perfectly safe. I have a 16 year old son who has been going to Fenway by himself for a few years and often sits in the Bleachers. And the T ride will be safe as well. Have fun!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM

It's perfectly safe as long as you're not wearing Yankee gear.

But do realize that many of the chants from the crowd will be quite "colorful" - so you may want to prepare your 9 year olds if they're sheltered.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Is it a Yankees game? If it is, it could be rowdy. Otherwise, its calm.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM

Anyone who tells you the bleachers are really rowdy has not been there in many years. Tickets to Red Sox are so difficult to get and expensive that the cheap rowdy drunks who used to sit there just can't.

But, some things to know. First, Boston fans are passionate and knowledgeable about baseball. If there is a bad call or play, they will be quite vocal - and possibly use some language that is not old-fashioned refined Boston.

Second, rows are long - you will have to stand multiple times to allow fans in/out to buy beer and food. It gets annoying.

Third - there is no shade out there and therefore no protection from sun, rain - dress acordingly.

There is lots of security. There will be at least one fan ejected for taunting other fans or actually getting into a fight. This will be very limited and the 2 people will likely know each other - you are not at risk. If the kids start to get bored, they can watch.

As far as MBTA - keep an eye on the clock and know when your line stops running, allowing for transfer time. If game has a rain delay or goes into extra innings, it is possible to miss the last train, although it would have to be quite a long game for that to happen. Your route is safe. Just be prepared for huge crowds getting on train after game - make sure all 4 kids, even the youngest, know what train to get on, where to get off in case you get separated in the crowds.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

One more thing - when the crowd appears to be booing Youkilis or Drew, they are really chanting a syllable of their names that rhymes with "Boo". And I can't even begin to explain the "Sweet Caroline" thing in the 8th inning.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM

I usually stay in the Hotel Commonwealth, right above the Kenmore station. It is so much fun to watch the fans arrive for the game...just a sea of red!

My daughter lived right across the street from Fenway last year, and said the main thing is to leave the stadium promptly after the game, as the rowdiness typically happens out in the street toward the end of the crowd.

And Gail is right...make absolutely sure the kids know where to go (hotel cards in their pockets!)if you get separated on the T.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies and good ideas. It's just nice to know what to expect.

Good idea on the hotel cards etc. for the kids!

Thanks again,

Bleacher Section 38 Mom
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Going to Fenway is like going to the carnival. Every game is a high-emotion, 4th of July type of experience. And while gail is correct that it is expensive, I have to respectfully disagree that the high price has cut down on alcohol consumption. I am *not* saying that everyone around you will be drunk--not at all! However, we have gone twice recently and many of those around us were routinely getting up and coming back with a "beer for each hand", as 2 beers/person is the purchase limit and the two-fisted drinkers do not want to be without.

But it is, without a doubt, one of the most fun as well as culturally enlightening, quintessentially Boston experiences you can have here! The Red Sox are as integral to Boston as the Old North Church or Paul Revere. And yes you are very safe there! If, as you say, you love baseball, how could you miss Fenway Park? Here's hoping you get to hear Dirty Water at the end of the game!!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Never meant to imply that beer was not consumed in enormous quantities - just that wandering street drunks could not just get a game day ticket and sit in the bleachers (30 years ago when I moved to Boston I lived 2 blocks from Fenway and would often after work wander over - although sober - and watch part of the game)

The 2-beer thing is amusing. And after fans make you stand 6 times for their beer purchases, you get to repeat that standing to let them out to use bathroom.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:38 PM

It's not so much the standing that gets to me as the fear of falling, flying or otherwise airborne beer! However, I do *not* want to frighten rred...it is safe to go.

That is funny that you moved here 30 years ago....we came in 1971 for my husband's grad school and we are still here.