Comics Cambridge / Boston area

Mar 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Comics Cambridge / Boston area

Visiting Cambridge and Boston over spring break and have boys who ADORE comics and cards. Where are the comic stores in the area? Any other recs for 9 year olds, or tips on getting tickets for the Red Sox?
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:44 AM

The Museum of Science will be a hit with the boys and the Duck tour as well as The Commons and the Public Garden.

They also might enjoy the Freedom Trail and see some of the sites they have studied in school, like Paul Revere's House and the church where the lanterns were hung. You also might enjoy lunch or dinner right there in Little Italy.

The freedom trail will also take you to Old Ironsides in Charlestown, and Bunker Hill Monument.

Have a fun time while you are there.
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:29 AM

comics - like comic books? What kind of cards - baseball, game? I had no idea to answer to that part of your question but when I googled it with Boston did not have a lot of success. I was hoping there would be some exhibit of comic book art, specialty store - some address or store name I would recognize - no luck

There is a New England chain called Newbury Comics - but they actually do not sell comics (except for a very few) - but music, pop culture items, posters - so if you see one of their stores in your travels, I hope your kids don't get excited about it for nothing.

Red Sox tickets are impossible to get thru regular channels except for themoment they go on sale on-line (already past) and article in Boston Globe said only 10% of those on-line at that time actually got tickets. The website has some scattered tickets (one seat here and there) for some games.

So you either buy from a street scalper or ticket broker. As far as street scalpers, besides being illegal and not a great idea to try with your kids, many tickets are now printed on home computers after purchase and you have no way of knowing if someone printed multiple copies of each and sold them. For brokers, we have used Ace Tickets (website by same name to check prices). Red Sox tickets are highest in major leagues, so just imagine what a broker charges!

You can take a Fenway Park tour (info on redsox.com) if that wouldn't be too much torture if you are not going to a game.

Short boat tour of Boston Harbor (dress warmly in April). Agree with Museum of Science and eating in North End. If you are here on a weekend, go to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area and look at the street vendors selling all sorts of nasty looking whole fish, squid, octupus (along with regular veggies, etc.) Not sure Boston Common or Public Garden has much to offer 9 year old boys - except perhaps ride on Swan Boats in Public Garden (25 passenger flat boats propelled by a strong guy pushing with bicycle-peddle type apparatus).

If weather is really nasty, try to Aquarium, although it is, in my opinion, just average as Aquariums go.
Mar 30th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Fire and Ice might be a good restaurant for you and thekids to try. Two locations, Back Bay and Harvard Sq. Its an all you can eat place where you fill a bowl with the ingrediants you want and then bring it to a giant grill where they cook it for you. Kind of weird but the kids like it.

Not sure when you'll be here but April 17-21 is April vacation week for Massachusetts kids. Places like the Museum of Science and Aquarium will be mobbed but there will be lots of activities too.

Gail is correct about Red sox tickets, but try calling the box office - you might just get lucky. I randomly called last week and got 4 tickets to a game during April Vacation and 4 tickets to a Yankees game in Aug. So you never know. Forget going on line - its futile at this point.

I believe that the Swan boats don't operate until May - but not positive on that front.

The tour at Old Ironsides is fun. Since the ship is still a commissioned naval vessel, it is staffed by members of the US Navy who give terrific funny guided tours. My girls loved it.

have a great time here - Boston is great for kids.
Mar 30th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, comics like comic books, the boys love them and we enjoy checking out the stores when we travel. I'd never been to any in the area and thought I'd ask, hadn't seen any on a quick google search, hmmm.

We also enjoy playgrounds, but as the boys are getting older we need ones geared to older kids (adventure playgrounds they are sometimes called). Anyone know of any?

Thanks for the tips on Science Museum and other attractions. We've been to Boston many times, relatives in Cambridge, and I think this trip we're hoping to see a couple of historical things to relate to school.

Sadly, we are not in charge of our food as relatives are extreme foodies and have strong opinions on where we eat. Would appreciate any lunch tips for Freedom Trail area (as we will be away from foodies then).

Fenway tour might be an idea, thanks for that tip.
Mar 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM
QC

As usual, everyone did a nice job of not answering the original poster's very specific question.

If you will be in Harvard Square, there is a large branch of Newbury Comics (a New England chain) on John F. Kennedy Street in an indoor mini-mall. They have a huge selection of comics, comic merchandise, CDs, DVDs, and magazines. It's perhaps a 2 or 3 block walk from the Harvard "T" Stop. Newbury Comics absolutely sells Comics.

They are at:

36 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02136
(617) 491-0337

"gail" apparently has trouble typing 'Boston comic book shop' into Google. Item #3 that pops up lists every Comic Book & Card store in the State.

Mar 30th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Google for "comic books stores, cambridge, ma" I know there are at least 4 or 5 in the cambridge/allston area near Harvard Square and around there.

there used to be one (comicopia) on Comm Ave, but I'm not sure it's still there - but I would think they would come up on a google search also.

In general, for your son:
I would also check out these sites:
www.gobostoncard (even if you don't end up purchasing the card, take a look at the site and it can help you pick what to do, but hte card might be worth your while if you would do those sites/ trips/ tours/ dinner/etc)

Also check out www.bostonusa.com and citypass

A nice overview of the city, which kids seem to really enjoy -with a small history 'exhibit' is the Prudential Center Skywalk observatory, on a good day you can see the entire city and more - day and night two different views:
http://www.prudentialcenter.com/play/skywalk.html

If you'd like to take a boat on the harbor, see Boston from that side, and some of the islands, Georges, etc. look on www. bostonislands.com to see if that interests you. Your son might like the old fort and the island stories - it's a popular location for school field trips for that age and was always one of my kids favorite trips --- don't know if all the trips will be running htere, but there are several water shuttles back and forth from Charlestown area also

He might like that - see the Constitution, Bunker Hill, and take the water shuttle across so he sees some of Boston Harbor

The 9 yr old would probably enjoy Blue Man Group if he hasn't seen it, as a night time treat for him if he's had a day of more 'adult stuff' -

Mar 30th, 2006, 07:20 AM

comicopia is still there - www.comicopia.com
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM

QC - as usual only read the heading and first part of the question if s/he thought it only involved comic book shops. OP also asked about Red Sox and recs for 9 year olds.
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Harvard Square has several dedicated comic book shops, which should suit them to a T. The one downstairs opposite Peets Coffee has umpteen thousand comix.