Traveling to Boston for a Patriots game

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all My Wife and I along with our 2 children 7&11 are traveling to Boston for a Patriots game in October. We have the option of getting a timeshare somewhere near Cape Cod or we thought of just getting a hotel near Boston. Can you tell us what there is to do in the Cape and if it would be fun for the kids? Or is there more to do in Boston? We have heard that the weather is great at that time of the year? I can't find anything on Tripadvisor on what to do in Mass. My kids do love the beach but would it be to cold for them to play in early October? Can you help
Thanks
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:45 AM

Early October weather in Boston is usually wonderful -- amazing blue skies and comfortable temps and humidity. But it will be too cold for bathing suits. There's a lot to do in Boston, so that would make a better base than the Cape, IMHO.

Also, it would be easier to get out to Foxboro for the Patriots game if you're based in Boston, since you could just take the commuter rail out; there's a special stop that they make when there's a game there. If you drive, leave plenty of time, as traffic gets seriously backed up.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Weather - emphasis on the USUALLY - you could also get one of those cold rainy stretches - so bring appropriate clothing.
Looking at schedule I am guessing you are talking about 10/10 or 10/17 games - remember Columbus Day weekend is popular time to travel, so make reservations before the last minute.

I would also suggest staying in Boston - details depend on how long you will be here. If it is just the weekend, you will only have Saturday to plan for and there is more than enough to keep you occupied on one day in Boston. Since the game is at 1 PM, you will need to leave mid-morning for game and will not get back to Boston until well after dark - the game will take up the entirity of Sunday.

If you are flying, another option is to fly into Providence and stay there - certainly a far second choice for interesting things to do, but again depends on time you have.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:31 AM

If the game is the weekend of 10/17, it is parents' weekend at Boston University (and I swear it seems like every other university in the area is holding theirs at the same time). Not to discourage you from staying in the city, but be mindful of large crowds (packed hotels) and serious parking strains - otherwise great place to stay and lots to do with the family.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:03 AM

I just got back from boston with 2 kids 13&15. We all loved it. Stayed at the hotel lenox it was great. if you stay there ask for corner room, they have 2 dbl beds, couch, 2 chairs, very roomy, and they will provide a rollaway bed for free. Its 1 block from Newburry Street which is great at night for dinner or ice cream and people watching. The subway"T" is easy to use. Bring your kids to Harvard to see the campus it is beautiful and now my kids want to study very hard so they can go there(although it wont happen, cant afford $40 K a year, but at least they will study more) Also the freedom trail is nice., but I have to say I think the kids would have preferred the Cape if not too cold. have a great trip
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Harvard and the other Ivy League schools have huge endowments and have some of the best financial aid packages around. Hardly anyone pays "list price".
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Let's take a break from our show "Tuition: Fact or Fantasy?"

The Cape is going to be fairly dead in October (which may suit you just fine) and unless you hit a rare stretch of good weather, it's likely to be chilly, especially if there's any breeze. So if you're going there, do it for the low off-season prices and non-beach attractions, not for beach time.

I'm assuming you know the Pats play in Foxboro, which is about 30 miles from Boston, so you'll have a bit of a drive to get to the game if you're staying in the city. Be aware that parking is horrendous and expensive -- hotels will charge about $40 a day.

All in all, I think you're better off staying in Boston. Lots of stuff for the kids to see and do. And, hey, if you go in October, you can pop over to Fenway to see the Sox in the World Series. (OK, OK, I got carried away for a minute.)
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Boston's a great city for kids. Among the kid-friendly sites and activities--Duck tour, aquarium, science museum (a great hands-on experience for kids...and adults, too, for that matter), etc., etc., etc.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for responding with ideas. I will probably take the train out to the game so I won't have to wait in the traffic. I was also wondering i read in another message about taking the train to New York. Can anyone tell me about that possiblility for a day and evening trip to the big apple? And If we did rent a car what about driving I guess North to see the leaves changing colors? Can you also give me some ideas for seeing the beauty of the east coast at that time of year? looking forward to reading your responses
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I haven't done it in a while, but I think it's reasonable to make an overnight trip to NY via Amtrak. I seem to remember that the trip is kind of expensive for four, but I don't recall the exact cost.

One note about seeing the leaves and traveling to NY. You don't necessarily have to head north. You could go west through the Berkshire Mountains in Mass. -- very picturesque in the fall -- and maybe end up in Springfield (about 100 miles west of Boston). Then take the train from there. Sort of a two-birds-with-one-stone strategy.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:48 AM

You could also take the bus to NYC from downtown Boston. Greyhound goes there but so does the FungWa bus ($10 cost)from Chinatown.
Boston's a great city especially since your kids are old enough to appreciate all it has to offer, including the history, which they may study in the near future in school.
In October, be sure to bring appropriate "layers" for clothing, however, because it can get chilly. Fleece pullovers should work nicely.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Alex, a day in New York will probably leave you more disoriented that appreciative of that terrific city. Acela can get you there and back in a day (I do it on business regularly), and the trip along the Connecticut and Rhode Island coastline is a treat, but you'd have maybe ten hours in the city, even taking the 6 a.m. train down and the 9 p.m. train back to Boston.

The suggestion of the Berkshires is both more practical and accessible, and the color in mid-October is spectacular. It's a two and a half hour drive from Boston under normal circumstances, though leaf-peeking season is hardly normal for traffic.

A big "thumbs up" for the train (from South or Back Bay Stations) to the Patriots game. The cost of parking in Foxboro is a month's rent in many areas of the country, and three hours each way, including the hike from where you park to the stadium, is not out of the question.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM

You'll probably see plenty of lovely foliage automatically from the train to the game! Foliage peak dates do vary, but mid-Oct is usually peak for the Boston area.

As indicated, a day trip to NYC would involve 9 hours of travel for probably an equal amount of time in the city -- as much as I love NY, I'd consider this not worth the trouble.

But before I could really advise you about trips to the Berkshires or NYC, I'd be interested in knowing the total length of your stay in the area -- I'd give very different advice for a long weekend vs a visit of a week or more.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Okay you have convinced me not to make a trip to NYC for just a day. Well here is my schedule.
Thursday- Arrive Even. (Day shot)
Friday,Saturday- open
Sunday - Pats/Dolphins game
Monday - Open
Tuesday - travel
What would you guys do with this schedule? Iknow there is alot of history but if you have children you know if they get bored and irritable then things can get a little hectic. lol so I do want to look at the history but cannot be an all day event.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Look through the web site for the Freedom Trail and pick out one or two sites that interest the kids -- the USS Constitution is usually a hit. Quincy Marketplace/Faneuil Hall is dripping with history -- but now it's a shopping mall with lots of snacks. Or walk through the North End if you like Italian food and atmosphere.

Other activities of itnerest to the kids would be the Duck Tours, the observation deck at the Prudential Center, Museum of Science, and the Aquarium.