Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family visiting Moab, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Itinerary Suggestions PLEASE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are spending a few days in June in Vegas and then going to Moab, Bryce Canyon and the North Rim. Then back to Vegas for two days then back out to the South Rim. This is my family (4) and my sisters family (4). I would really appreciate all the information you can give me. I've never been in this part of the country. We plan to do the first part 6/12-17 and the South Rim 6/21-26. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM

There's a lot of info on this forum. It would probably help if you did a search and then posted more specific questions.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM

First question: do you already have your reservations at the Grand Canyon?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking to stay at the Grand Canyon North Rim for at least one night, the park hotels are all booked. Any suggestions as to where to stay?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:09 AM

I was afraid of that. It's worth calling Xanterra to see if there are any cancellations, even if the website shows they are fully booked. Try several times, expecially about 30 days ahead of your desired dates.

The only lodging really right at the North Rim is the park lodge. Next closest lodging would be in Jacobs Lake, I believe. But I am not familiar with that area (know the South Rim better), so hopefully someone else can help you with that. Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM

We are traveling to the same areas as you (Bryce, Lake Powell & GC S. rim) at the same time as you - between June 20 & 25, starting after 5 days Vegas (conference) too, so I've recently been in the process of making our reservations.

One questions, why are you traveling to the GC twice in one trip?!! Wow! That's a LOT of desert driving. Why not do all of it before returning to Vegas? I'm guessing you have a conference or something in the middle in Vegas?

And I also wanted to second the advice to call Xanterra reservations for lodge rooms at the s. rim. It appeared to me that a certain hotel had a room avail. according to the website, but when I called it wasn't avail., but a room that didn't appear at a different place WAS avail. So keep checking & do call them.

Have read/heard numerous comments from people on the length of time that might be enjoyable at GC, your time span sounds a bit long, but maybe you enjoy hiking and totally soaking up every ounce of a place. Do some searches on your destinations. There are many posts, trip reports on them.

And, I would just wonder if seeing the canyon from both rims might be a bit redundant, and that you might want to see something else instead of GC twice, like Zion Nat'l Park which is between Vegas & Bryce. Been to Zion and found it interesting, especially the narrows/Angels landing hikes.

Best of luck with your plans. We'll also be at GC on the 21st thru the 22nd.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

We do have a conference in Vegas in the middle. Maybe it would be redundant to visit both the North and South Rim. I appreciate everyone's input!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

I don't think it's redundant if you love the canyon scenery; the two rims are entirely different. North Rim is higher and more forested. The South Rim has a lot more lodges, shops, and restaurants (and people!). Some prefer the views from the South Rim but that is very subjective. However, unless you are planning on doing a lot of hiking, 2 nights at the South Rim should be plenty. On the other hand, it will be difficult to fit Moab, Bryce and the North Rim all into the first 5 days. Maybe save the North Rim for the second part, and do a loop from there, around through Page to the South Rim and back?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hi Jana,

I totally agree with enzian, 5 days is not enough to try to do Bryce, north rim and Moab. Do Bryce and Moab for the 5 days, 6 would be much better.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM

I agree with everyone else. Do Bryce, Moab and Zion (which is on the way to Bryce from Las Vegas) the first part if you're going to the South Rim for your second part.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:44 AM

We spent a night at the North rim last year and it was like being at an entirely different canyon. For a first visit, i would choose the south rim, despite it being much busier.

At the north rim we stayed in a cabin and it was fine, altho we much preferred El Tovar at the south rim

Had lunch at jacob lake in july 05 and july 06 after a fodorite (placeU2) recommended it. The snack bar offers a hearty steak / meatloaf-ish type sandwich that my guys love, and their soups are also good.

We checked out their new lodging additions which looked much nicer than their original buildings. So if you decide on the n. rim and can't get into the park on a cancellation, jacob lake would be a good alternative.

Have a great time.