Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is there lodging at the entrance of the Grand Canyon South Rim?

Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi there,
This is our first trip to the Grand Canyon. We would like to stay one night as close to the Cayon as we can get. Is there anywhere close by? Any suggestions?

We are going late March.
We are not interested in staying inside the canyon (I hear a HUGE fear of heights).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Susan
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

We stayed right outside of the park... I think it was a holiday inn. It was fine for our purposes.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM

The outside-the-park hotels are all the basic chains and are about a 15 minute drive from the actual Canyon. I empathize with your height thing - I share that - but no lodging is right on the Rim - you still have to walk to the Canyon.

Before we went my family made fun of me since I kept asking "can you fall into the Grand Canyon?" I don't know what I was expecting - a chain link fence or something (there is none). The free-range kids running along the edge scared me to death. My family bought me a book sold in the gift shop called "Over the Edge - Death in the Grand Canyon" which describes all the various ways people have died at the Grand Canyon - the vast majority were doing something really stupid. This book was my family's idea of a joke for me.

You could still stay at any of the South Rim lodging and not be near the edge - just so you know.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM

Strange that you could find Fodors to post on, but you can't seem to find the Grand Canyon National Park website where your questions would be rather easily answered:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/

Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Placename - I usually always post my questions here because most people are extremely helpful and kind.

Thanks once again in advance to all those who reply.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM

You could probably get rooms at Yavapai or Maswic lodges which are at the south rim but not near the edge at all and not have to drive to get there in the morning. They are basic motel type places, and you could walk or take a car to see the canyon from there and not be scared at all. I hope you don't let your fear make you miss one of the most awesome places on earth.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM

susan1, When you say you are "not interested in staying inside the canyon" --- I hope you understand that the lodges inside the national park are all above the rim of the canyon, not "inside the canyon".

There are four lodges that are near the rim (within 50 years or so), but they are not right on the edge. You cannot even see the canyon from most of the rooms---if you want a canyon view you pay extra. There are two more lodges, Maswik and Yavapai, which are well back from the canyon, by 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile.

It is best to stay inside the park if you can, especially for someone like you with a fear of heights. While you might not want to get too close to the edge right at first, you will quickly realize that, at least in the area around the hotels, it is perfectly safe. There is a stone wall along the edge, between you and the cliffs.

It is possible that all the rooms inside the park are already booked fo rlate march, but it is worth checking the website:

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

If nothing shows up on the website, try calling, as often there are cancellations that do not appear on the website.

And if there is nothing avialable, or if you are determined to stay outside the park and farther from the canyon, there are a number of chain motels in the nearby town of Tusayan.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM

Susan, see if you can get reservations at Maswik. It's close enough to the rim for a pleasant stroll, yet in the forest surrounding the canyon, so you don't even feel there is something down there.

I think it's like 5 or 10 minutes walk to the canyon. And it has 2 shuttle stops - at the entrance, and on the side by the parking lot.

I have a fear of heights too, and can guarantee there is nothing to be afraid of at Maswik.

As for being AT the edge of the canyon... there are different trails, you will find something to hike without being scared.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me such great suggestions and tips.

I'm going to try to book something tonight.

Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
esm

I second Faina's suggestion. And I share your fear of heights so I understand your concern.