Search

Grand Canyon Tour

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Tour

We are a married couple in our early 50's from the UK planning to visit Grand Canyon on our holiday in October. If possible we would like to see the views from the North Rim but as I am in a wheelchair and we are hiring a Mini Van I was wondering if we would make it to:-

a. Bright Angel Point
b. Point Imperial
c. Point Sublime
d. Toroweap Overlook

If not, do they do tours to these places in an appropriate vehicle?

Also would we stand a chance of just turning up and getting a room in the Grand Canyon Lodge, which would roughly be about Monday 6th October, or am I living in dreamland? If they have no accomodation there for us does it mean we have to drive back to Jacob's Creek for a room? Thanking you in anticipation of your comments and please type slowly as I am a slow reader.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 03:29 AM

grandcanyonfoundation.org has some interesting info on visiting GC for persons with disabilities. It might be a good starting point to research what you need to know.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:59 PM

You might want to check out this site for lodging on the north rim which is handled by Xanterra (www.xanterra.com) www.grandcanyonnorthrim.com/. The web site for north rim by the National Park Service is www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/north-rim.htm. Add accessibility before the htm and you can see what is wheelchair accessible. If we are talking about the same thing, Toroweap Overlook is a considerable distance from the north rim. You drive 50 miles off US89(in Utah)down on a gravel road. The area is extremely rugged and you need to be right on the edge (no barriers, water or services of any kind) to look over the rim down into the river near Lava Falls.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Hi Chrissie!
My husband and I are also in our early 50's and will be at Grand Canyon on Oct 7th. My husband is in a wheelchair. We are staying at The Cameron Trading Post on the eve of Oct 7th and then heading up to Bryce Canyon the next day. Are you going any place after Grand Canyon??
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:50 AM

The North Rim closes around mid-October, so your date should be OK. But lodging choices are very limited - I doubt you'd be able to just show up and get a room unless there was a cancellation. We booked our rim-view cabin 2 YEARS out and got bumped upon arrival to one further back in the park. Jacob's Lake accommodations are rustic at best (translation: I won't stay there again!).

You might think about seeing the South Rim which has more lodging choices and may be better suited to wheelchair accessibilty.

Just a thought - enjoy!
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your suggestions, will look into the web sites. The rugged road with no barriers, seems a bit daunting.

Yes Marcia, we are going onto Las Vegas next. We are making a round trip, starting in Los Angeles down to San Diego, then Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, we are hoping we have time to go up to the redwoods back down to San Francisco (stopping at interesting points along the way - so any suggestions would be appreciated). But obviously depending on how long we stop off at different places. We have six weeks in all, so are quite looking forward to it.

Chrissie
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:37 AM

We went to Toroweap overlook on a 4-wheel drive guided tour last May. I was convinced not to risk driving that road in our rental car and I have not changed my mind. It will not be easy for a wheelchair to go over the rocks and boulders. We used the tour company Canyon Country Outback Tours; perhaps you can call and inquire if it is possible for you to get to the overlook on a wheelchair on another path. I don't have their phone number, but the company has a web site. The view is certainly worth visiting.

Point Sublime is another area that is difficult to reach with a rental car. I've seen warnings about driving that road. This will have to wait for my next visit to the GC. If you're interested, ask that tour company I mentioned above if they have a tour to Pt Sublime.

Bright Angel Point is right behind the lodge where you can see the same views. There are other overlooks in the park itself that you should have no trouble reaching.