Search

Fall Weekend in PA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Jaylee

Fall Weekend in PA

Need suggestions for a great weekend getaway in Pennsylvania, late October. It's an older group people [50,60s] need scenery, culture and great food. Preferably in the Philly area but am willing to take any suggestions. We are driving from NYC and want a nice weekend, not too expensive/not too far. Thanks.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:15 AM
filly

Try the Chateau Country of the Brandywine Valley, just about 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia. Part of it's in Pennsylvania, part is just over the border in Delaware. Lots of former du Pont family estates that are now public museums and gardens, good restaurants, lovely inns. Check out www.winterthur.org, which has links to other attractions and tourist bureaus.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
pam

Try the New Hope area, Lamberville on the Jersey side which connects to New Hope. Many fine restuarants, antique shops, scenery should be goegeous about that time. There is also a boat ride on the Delaware, a train ride which goes through the various towns. There is also a playhouse in which to see a play in New Hope. Not far from there is Peddlers Village, another nice area to stroll around, there several wineries in the area as well to visit. I think there is a motel/hotel outside of New Hope. There are B&B's in the area but none I can recommend personally or know the pricing. My husband and myself are also in our 50's and we like to go up there quite often for dinner. Have fun.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:05 AM
billy

I know the area filly is talking about, but I never heard it referred to as "the Chateau Country." Live and learn, I guess.

Anyway, filly is talking mainly about the Chester County/Northern Delaware Area. Attractions: Longwood Gardens, Winterthur, the Brandywine River Museum (lots of Wyeth stuff, Chadds Ford Winery, Brandywine Battlefield.

Restaurants: Hank's (a must for breakfast, plus you might see one of the Wyeths eating there on a Sat. a.m.), the Gables.

Tons of places to stay. Depends on your tastes and budget.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Stephanie P.

Jaylee:

I'd suggest the Lancaster area which is about 1 1/2 hours west of Philly. Great food, Amish and nice scenery.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Jaylee

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am thinking a nice river tour/boat cruise and a winery. What and where do you all think?

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM
pam

Try the website fallinpa.com This may give you some ideas. There is a harbor cruise with a dinner show in the city. There is a Bucks county winery and also Sand Castle winery outside of New Hope. New Hope is located maybe 40 minutes from the City. If you are driving from N.Y. you are only about 1.5 hours away from this particular area. Not need to go into Philly. As I said in a previous post there is a boat ride in New Hope on the river. Is probably only 1 hour long.