A trip to the New Paltz area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

My husband and I would like to see foliage and Roosevelt's Home, do some hiking and antique shopping. This area was suggested. Any thoughts? Where is a good place to stay overnight? and to eat?
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eznmomma, this area is primarily known as the Hudson River Valley and or Dutchess County, NY. Very beautiful, especially in Autumn when the leaves are changing. We enjoy doing drives up this way from our home in Northern NJ. There are historic homes to visit, wineries, scenic drives...lots to do. I suggest checking out http://www.dutchessny.gov/ and http://www.dutchesstourism.com/ for more info. I'm sure some other Fodorites can suggest a good spot for overnight accomodations, we usually just day trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:44 AM

It'll be tough to find lodging for a single weekend night during the soon-to-be-here foliage season. Logging onto the websites already given will help in your search.
And, yes the area is beautiful any time of the year, but especially during the foliage season.
If you're interesting in antiquing, I suggest you go a little further to the town of Hudson. It's be restored and is now a good place to go antiquing.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I will try the websites. We plan to go during the week, so I'm hoping we won't have trouble getting accomodations.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:45 PM

Probably too late for this season, but Rhinebeck is the place to stay.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:17 PM

You should be able to find something for midweek night.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
jtp

I hope you have in mind, to visit the Culinary institute- the restaurants are outstanding- their web site will provide all your options and menus - the AMerican Bounty is an ideal place to begin if it is your first time.
Culinary Institute of America - \
Hyde Park
Phone: 845/471-6608 http://www.CIAchef.edu
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:49 PM

Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz is one of my favorite destinations. (www.mohonk.com) It is a bit pricey to stay (food is included) but so wonderful. At least, stopping there for lunch would be a good suggestion (reservations are usually required).
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:18 AM

I would 100% recommend the Beekman Arms - it's the oldest runny inn in America and is absolutely beautiful and close to everything you want to see. We spent the weekend there last year and loved it! The Sunday Brunch is also great. The website is:

http://beekmandelamaterinn.com/
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We actually got a room in Rhinebeck at the Beekman Arms property. Just lucky I guess, but we were planning to go during the week. If anyone has an 'must-see' suggestions, I'd love to hear them. We are going to look at foliage and see the Roosevelt property. We like to hike, and like funky, ou-of-the-way places. I'm pouring through the tour books, but it's hard to pick and choose.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:39 PM

You said the key phrase, "We like to hike..."

I strongly recommend that you make a lunchtime reservation at the Mohonk Mountain House (reservations necessary to enter), enjoy a wonderful lunch, and then go for a hike on their unbelievable property. You will never regret it. Look for the "lemon squeeze."

The other suggestion of dining at the Culinary Institue is a great one. Everyone I know who has ever dined there has raved forever about their visit. Six restaurants vary from a $6.00 sandwich in the really neat cafe`, to the elaborate restaurant meal and everything in-between Check out their website.

Have a fantastic time. Woodstock is also nearby if you have the time. Great hiking there, as well an interesting town.

Happy Trails,
Paul
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

I read the post about the Mohank property. Is a reservation necessary to hike their property as well, or just to enter the inn? also, any night time suggestions besides dinner?