Search

Hudson River Valley

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudson River Valley

I'm just beginning to plan a fall trip to the area (my husband has some business at Bard College, so I figured good excuse to explore an area we don't know). Would appreciate in-put from folks who know the area well. We'll be training up from Wilmington. I wonder whether we should, e.g., stop at Poughkepsie first. Is that area particularly handsome, or should we just head on up? I've got a couple of brochures-- but would be more interested in personal feedback than in chamber of commerce descriptions. where, for instance, are the terrific places to stay in the Hudson Valley? What's the best hiking? etc. We like outdoors things--not interested in shopping. Thank you!
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
J62

Bookmarking for future reference. In short, no, if you are taking the train no need to stop in POK, you can explore the area easily from a base at Bard.

I'll come back and comment when I have more time. (hence the bookmark)
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:13 AM
J62

Poss,

Let me give you a little lay of the land in Mid Hudson River Valley. The best way I know to describe it is a mix of 50% very rural suburbia, 40% rural farmland, 5% commercial, 3% small village and 2% old city of Poughkeepsie.

With that mix you get many very scenic drives, lots of open space, but very few actual destinations. Poughkeepsie, bless it's heart, is nothing more than an a small, old NY residential/ industrial city, or more like a town. Local sustaining industry has waxed and waned over the years, with no strong, broad base today since IBM scaled back operations drastically in the mid 80s. Residential neighborhoods were mostly built earlier last century and many have seen better days.

The entire county population is only 300k in an area not that much smaller than the state of Delaware. I exagerate a little, but not much.

Bard is in Northern Dutchess county, directly across the Hudson river from the Catskill mountains. There you will find some wonderful hiking and vistas. Some of the specific areas close by are Minnewaska park, Mohonk lake area, the Shawangunks ('Gunks) for rock climbing.

To the East you have the Berkshires. There are some nice trails like Copake Falls on the NY/Mass border. All of these places are at most 45min drive from Bard.

There are, of course, the historic mansions just south of Bard in Hyde park. Vanderbilt, FRD + the Mills mansion. I'm not enthralled by the mansions themselves, but the grounds are wonderful, and you can actually hike the grounds around each or between several of them for a good 1/2 day trek in the woods along the Hudson River. There is also the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park with several wonderful restaurants.

If you have specific questions, fire them off and I or others will try to help.

J62
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:44 PM

If you're going to stay up in Annandale, then you can disembark at Rhinebeck. While you're up that way, check out Olana, the home of Hudson River school painter Frederic Church, which has some of the most spectacular views in the Hudson Valley. Check the Bard website for info about concerts at the new Frank Gehry-designed concert hall there.

If you enjoy wine, you can visit any of the wineries in the region, like Millbrook Vineyards and Clinton Vineyards in Dutchess County. There are plenty of fine restaurants in the region as well.

Here is the link for Dutchess County tourism:

http://www.co.dutchess.ny.us/Tourism/Tourism.htm

You might look into the Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck as a place to stay.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for those detailed and informative replies. I'd hoped to have one dinner at CIA, but we don't want to drink and drive and as we'll be staying near Bard, I suppose we'll miss out on the CIA restaurants. what are the most pleasant restaurants near Bard? the Bistro? Calico? Does anyone happen to knw the Finberg House on the Bard campus? I believe we might be being put up there, but we could decline if we find an in htat we like better. Thanks!