Hudson River Valley

Oct 13th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Hudson River Valley

I would like to take a 3-4 day trip to the HRV area from Central NJ toward the end of October. Any suggestions on a central location to stay that would be in a good location for taking day trips? Would also like to do some biking. Thanks!

Last edited by susieQ122; Oct 13th, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Oct 13th, 2018, 10:21 AM

We were in the Hudson Valley for 4 days in 2012, so I have a couple of suggestions.

First, using the Search Box above, go to Advanced Search and type in Hudson Valley, my screen name (sf7307) and "all dates". Many threads will appear, including mine.

Here is a copy of a much-shortened version of what we did during our 4 day visit:

We recently spent 4 days in the Hudson Valley. We had planned to go up one side and down the other, but it didn't exactly work out that way (we can now say we've been on all six bridges that cross the Hudson, plus the pedestrian walkway LOL!). We very much enjoyed the small towns of Cold Spring, Hudson, Rhinebeck and Saratoga Springs -- we're not into antiques, though, of which Hudson has a lot, but it's still a nice strolling town. Cold Spring has more "tchotchke" (sp?) stores -- all manner of "junque" from the 20th century -- and it's fun to poke around (and be rewarded with a delicious ice cream cone at the bottom of the main street (Moo Moo's), which you can eat while sitting in the little park along the Hudson). We ate lunch at the CIA, which was terrific (and we were in the "cheap" cafe, the one that's open all day, not the fancier restaurants that take reservations). We took a tour of West Point, walked across the Hudson on the pedestrian walkway in Poughkeepsie, visited Olana, FDR's home, the grounds of the Vanderbilt mansion, and Storm King Art Center. It was a very enjoyable "decompressing" type of trip (after our son's graduation from law school, and wedding, the previous week). The Hudson Valley is stunningly beautiful.

Also, here is a link to my original thread requesting trip advice:

Hudson Valley

I know we stayed at a Courtyard in Fishkill and at a Holiday Inn Express nearer to Saratoga Springs. I don't remember if we stayed somewhere in between as well. Are you looking for quaint and charming, or just which town is the best to base yourself in?
Oct 14th, 2018, 04:28 PM
J62

What kind of biking are you looking to do?

Mountain/trail?
Easy rail trail?
Longer distance/road biking?

And by HRV, do you mean the area from Westchester uph sides o through south of Albany (botf the river, and is the area most people speak of when they talk about the HRV), or further north, including Saratoga Springs? If it's the latter, I can give you more info
Oct 15th, 2018, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

We are looking for easy biking (flat) since Hubby is getting a knee replacement in January. Flat biking, not too long distance is all he an do at this point...which is better than nothing.
Oct 15th, 2018, 09:55 AM
J62

ok, In Poughkeepsie there is the walkway over the hudson www.walkway.org that connects to about 10miles of rail trail on the eastern side of th Hudson, and also routes on the other. The walkway itself is about 2miles long as it spans the river on an old 1880's RR bridge high above the river. Just crossing the river by bike is great, and the rail trail is very flat as it's an old RR route.
Oct 16th, 2018, 05:48 AM

If you go to the FDR National Historic site consider also visiting the Eleanor Roosevelt site (Val-Kill).
We stayed at the Quality Inn right opposite the FDR site (fine, pretty basic) and ate at the Hyde Park Brewing Co. (a short walk) My husband did the bike trail described in the last post including going over the walkway.
Oct 16th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Since you plan to do some bike riding while visiting the Hudson River Valley, I very strongly recommend that you put The Storm King Art Center on your must-see list. It's located in Cornwall, off Route 9W on the west side of the Hudson River. It'll be a "best of both worlds" situation for you. First,you'll be viewing one the best attractions in the entire Hudson Valley, and, second, you'll be able to rent bikes there to tour the 600-acre site.
Oct 16th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Howard, thanks for the mention of the bikes to tour Storm King. We went there (I believe at your suggestion) in 2012 and thought it was fabulous. We didn't have nearly enough time, so we'll visit again, and this time we'll rent bikes!
Oct 16th, 2018, 09:47 AM

sf307, you're welcome. My wife and I consider StormKing the #1 site to visit in the entire Hudson Valley. No matter how many times we go there, As a serious amateur photographer, it's a paradise for me! No matter how many times I go there, I still manage to take at least a dozen pictures each time.
Oct 16th, 2018, 11:43 AM

Don't miss Storm King. Bring lunch, there are picnic tables.

On the east side of the river, see Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate (pre-book, full tour advised).
Oct 16th, 2018, 12:08 PM

AJ, I totally agree about Kykuit. That's our #2 choice in the Hudson Valley, and the previously mentioned FDR museum in Hyde Park is probably #3.
Oct 16th, 2018, 12:11 PM

PS, And, of course, the tremendous fall foliage potential this time of the year is a must-see! And the OP's trip is just at the right time to catch it at its peak at least in part of the Hudson Valley.
And, speaking of foliage, it is another reason to visit Storm King this time of the year!
Oct 16th, 2018, 09:03 PM
J62

Not sure what thread you are using, so I'll post your question and my answer here that you put on the other one.

Susieq122:
Would anyone recommend the Woodstock Inn in Woodstock or Caldwell House in Salisbury Mills, or is that too far from HRV. Haven't been able to find accommodations in Rhinebeck...any other suggested towns in which to stay?

J62
I would not say either woodstock or Salisbury Mills is a good location - especially if the sights you plan to visit are mostly on the east side of the river, eg FDR, Vanderbilt, CIA north of I84, and Kykuit (Rockefeller) closer to Tarrytown. In fact, there's not an ideal single location to use as a base for the whole area.

In Rhinebeck, did you look at Beekman Arms - that's the place that typically gets good reviews and is right in the charming town of Rhinebeck.

Just south of Rhinebeck is Hyde Park - there may be one roadside motel there but I don't recall. RT9 is the major commericial / artery that runs North South through the FDR/Vanderbilt area, and there are a bunch of chain hotels on Rt 9 in Poughkeepsie (adjacent to Hyde Park), and a bunch a little further south in Fishkill @ I84/Exit 13. Both areas are fine, for a chain (mostly marriot, hilton, or hyatt brands) hotel, with enough nearby eateries. Not really walkable to anything of note, but not bad areas

The distance from POK (= Poughkeepsie) to Rhinebeck is no more than 15min drive, less than that to FDR or Vanderbilt.. I'd say it's about another 10-15min down to Fishkill/I84 area.

It's a bit of a haul from Poukghkeepsie to Kyukuit, not so bad over to Storm King for a day trip, but you could consider moving from one base to another
Howard used to recommend an italian restaurnat in that area - but I've not seen him mention it lately...
I used to live in that area so never did a multi day visit, only day trips from home to the various sights.

Search this Thread