Two July weekend getaways from NJ (Bayonne)

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two July weekend getaways from NJ (Bayonne)

Okay, so DS will be with his bio-dad in July. DH will be in NJ for business for three weeks during that time, so I'll be spending that time with him. His family lives in Bayonne, so we'll be staying with them. So here's my question: where can we go during the two weekends that I'm there? Since he's from there, we've already been to a few places--NYC, Liberty/Ellis, Seaside, Warwick Valley, Nyack/Sleepy Hollow, Boston, Philly. We'll still do the City during the week when he has a free day, but I'm looking for two places to spend the two weekends that we do have. We're willing to drive up to three hours away. I love B&B's, but hotels and inns are fine, too. We both like pretty much anything--outdoorsy, romantic, fun, food. The only thing that we don't really care too much for is a bar/club scene. For example, Atlantic City doesn't sound too exciting to us. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Hi!

What about the Brandywine Valley/Longwood Gardens/Wintherthur area?

You might also consider Baltimore which will be a bit over 3 hours, but hopefully not much, depending on timing and traffic.

Also, maybe Cape May, NJ.

Those are the 3 that pop to mind. I will write again if I think of others. Good luck and have fun!
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM

New Hope, PA / Lambertville, NJ for a weekend getaway would be fun. Stay at a B&B or Inn, enjoy the setting (these two towns are on opposite sides of the Delaware river). There's quaint shopping, antiquing, historical sites, a theatre company in New Hope for a show, good restaurants, a steam train ride to Lahaska, PA with Peddler's Village - another quaint shopping area. There are some nature related things in the area as well. We live in Union, NJ and go for day trips...it should take you under 2 hours from Bayonne.

Another idea - Hudson River Valley. Quaint towns with historical drives, Hyde Park with the mansions on the river, good restaurants, wineries, etc.

If you want to go to the shore try Spring Lake or Bay Head or further south Long Beach Island.

Seaside = sleezeside to Jersey folks!
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

tpatricco--lol on your seaside comment. We actually just went to that particular one because I loved Bon Jovi when I was younger...okay, okay, I still do. But I digress. So we just spent an afternoon there. It was okay.

I will check out all of those suggestions, fun4 and tpatricco. Thanks! It's so fun to research all these different ideas.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I just couldn't resist, but, I thought that the folks from Bayonne go to Jersey City for weekend getaways.

Ooooops, sorry, it is the other way around.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Ha! DH always jokes around about Jersey City. There's such a difference between that and Bayonne. However, one thing that I love about JC is "Manila" avenue. Here in the Dallas area, there isn't much Filipino culture, so when I go up there, I have to go eat and shop!

Now, back to the topic, I talked to DH, and he definitely liked the Long Beach Island idea. He also liked Baltimore. We're not familiar with the Brandywine Valley/Longwood Gardens/Wintherthur area. Where is that? I forgot to mention that we have also done the Hudson River valley and loved it.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Lambertville/New Hope (Bucks County) and Spring Lake would be my picks for people who like B & Bs. Lots of charm/history, antiques. Long Beach Island is more rustic motel type places. Spring Lake is on the beach but almost a throw back in time. Lots of Victorian houses, inns with big front porches.