Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trips from New York City. Newport, RI? Hudson Rivery Valley? Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I hate to be posting again on this subject but here goes....We’re in our late 20s and live in NYC and are looking for new areas to explore that aren't too far away (within 5 hours).

We've been to Woodstock, VT twice, we've driven north from Boston up past Camden, ME, we've done the Berkshires, we’ve explored DC, and we’ve driven south in Jersey down to Cape May (not my favorite of the trips). Most of these trips have been concentrated in the fall when the foliage turns.

I’d really love to find some new places to escape to this summer or even this fall. With that being said, we enjoy antiquing, shopping, nice restaurants, historic homes, nature, and beautiful scenery. I’m not much of a beach person. Half a day in the sun is about all I can stand. And neither of us drink so wineries probably wouldn’t hold much interest. Newport, RI is one place I definitely am looking forward to visiting. And I’m curious about the Hudson River Valley. Any suggestions about where to go, stay, and eat would be great as getting out of the city is an essential to living here!

Thanks in advance,
Rachel
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM

Buy this book:

Wonderful Weekends from New York City, by Marilyn Wood. It's all you need.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:18 PM

Cold Spring and Rhinebeck are 2 popular destinations and not far. Here's just one previous thread on them

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34533324

The northwest corner of Connecticut, including New Milford, Sherman and Prescott has some good antiquing and some charming spots to eat along with some nice lakes. Here's one thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34494582

Hudson, NY has become a big antique center. You say you've done the Berkshire but not sure where you've gone. Rte. 7 from the nw corner of Ct. into Mass has some amazing antique places.

Friends of mine go to Norfolk, Ct every summer for Tanglewood.

Some more ideas

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34511101

If you're serious about antiques, Brimfield is the largest antique show I think in the country. They just had a show and the next is July and then Sept.

http://www.brimfieldshow.com/
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
J62

Here are some Hudson Valley ideas

- There's a big fleamarket in Stormville once a month throughout the summer. Just off I84 & Taconic in Dutchess County.

- Not the best wine the world has to offer, but there are several in Millbrook, which also has some nice antique shops and good restaurants. OK, I just reread the original post re wine, but someone else may be reading so I'll leave it in here.

Some beautiful views and easy hiking in the Shawangunks (Gunks), the cliffs just west of New Paltz (that you always see from the Thruway). You can splurge and stay at Mohonk Mtn House for the night or go for dinner. Day use of their property requires admission fee, but there is also a day use area that the rock climbers use.

- Historic mansions of Vanderbilt & FDR, followed by dinner at the CIA in Hyde Park.

- Several great restaurants in Cold Spring.

- Dia modern art museum in Beacon - right near the Beacon Metro North rail station.

- Numerous great restaurants on the waterfront in Newburg and scattered throughout Dutchess county - I can list my favorites if you are intrested.

- Harriman State Park (S of West Point)

If any of these grab your eye, hollar and I'll give more details.

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I did pick up the book for further reference. It looks like we are defintely going to do the Hudson River Valley.

J62 - I would love to get more information from you if you don't mind. I looked up the Stormville show and it looks like the next one is 4th of July weekend. I had read in some previous posts about the decline of the Mohonk House. Not sure how accurate it was but they said the interior was rundown Are there any other places you'd recommend to stay? Also, I am assuming a lot of these areas can be covered in 3 days or so. How far should you plan on driving and what would be a good stopping point? And a list of restaurants would be great.

Thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
J62

Rachel,
Not ignoring your request - currently travelling so it'll be another week or so till I can give you a real reply.

J62 ([email protected])
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

No problem J62! Look forward to hearing from you