Experience Music Project Seattle

Oct 26th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Experience Music Project Seattle

Just wondering about other people's experience at the Experience Music Project at the Seattle Center.

We had a few people tell us "not to be missed", even a few taxi drivers raved about it. So off we go on the mono rail to the Seattle Center. Actually took in the Science Center first, which we found interesting, plenty of hands on to keep adults and kids busy. Spent probably 3 hours there. Did lunch and then hit the EMP.

Quite disappointed, maybe just had too high expectations after the way people raved about it. Spent about an hour and covered the whole building.

Should mention that no one in our party of 4 played instruments, nor were we band groupies. I have about 100 Cd's or so, and enjoy the odd concert, even have satellite radio. But no of us wanted to spend any longer in the EMP, and I would never go back. I believe prices were $19.95 adults, $14.95 kids.

Now I can see people who are really into music getting a lot out of this, especially if Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendicks were your heroes. Also if you enjoy jamming, rocking or singing, this could be the place for you.

But for me, Joe Public, I thought it fell flat, over priced and over hyped.

Just my 2 cents

Bill
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Couldn't agree more. Think it's overpriced waste of time for anyone not really into rock music. And it's one of the ugliest buildings in the country, to boot!
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
mms

While we enjoy it , I do agree with you. I think if you are really into the whole thing, it is great. We enjoyed it when we lived there, and will be back again in a few weeks and it is the #1 thing on the kids list.
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Rhardy5554,
My brother, who lives nearby the EMP, refers to the building as "the explosion in the bubblegum factory."
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM

I love the building. It's a nice change from the very bland architecture in much of this city.
I don't have any interest in going to the EMP, but most people I know who have gone have loved it. These folks are all very interested in music but are not musicians professionally-they are the kind of guys (hmm, all men now that I think about it) who have guitars but don't actually play in bands or record. Perhaps that's the key? Some amateur interest but not too much knowledge about music/recording?
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
mms

Christy--You pretty well descibed us, lol! I like the building too.
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:01 PM

I bought a student membership for $35, which paid for itself after the 2nd time. For "Joe Public" the interesting parts are the Jimi Hendrix collection, History of NW R&R, and the free music in the bar later at night. And whatever ride is in special exhibit. It should be billed as Hands-on more, and the prices should drop. But I love the building.

~T
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:06 AM

As a long time Seattle resident I hardly know a soul who's gone to the EMP. This is not a comment against it (well I guess in a way it is that most folks aren't interested) and there's even been buzz around about if it will make it financially. There's was a hysterically funny article in the local paper not too long ago where people all sent in their ideas and a list was compiled for creative re-use of the building after the museum closes!
Oct 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
ALF

As a long time Seattle area resident (going on 25 years), my family has been to EMP about 10 times. One of the better bargains is a family membership, which will pay for itself the second time you go. I would not consider EMP to be a, "must see" tourist destination, but it is certainly interesting, particularly if you spend the time to see everything. My experience with pretty much all museums is that you can't do them justice in one day. After a few hours, you are, "museumed-out". Our teenage kids could go to EMP probably once a month and be happy to do it. Our high school is having their senior prom in the EMP 'Cathedral', and all the kids are looking forward to the event.

I do think that Seattle Center is a, 'must-see' tourist destination, which includes EMP, the Monorail, the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, Center House, etc. If you have the time, I'd suggest spending 2-3 hours in EMP as part of a full-day Seattle Center experience.
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM

We've been to EMP several times (though not in the last two years probably) and really like it, but DH is a musician/composer, DD plays, and I'm a huge Bob Dylan and Jimmy Hendrix fan, so that explains our enthusiam. No one's mentioned the ride, which I think is really quite fun. So, as someone has pointed out, how much you like it probably depends alot on how much you like rock and roll and are interested in music.