Search

Best Music Scene?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Music Scene?

Hey everybody. Since this is such a great forum for city info,just thought I'd throw this query out there.I'm a local musician in the SFLA. area and am looking to test my talents elsewhere.Although I dislike labels,I guess I'm a singer-songwriter,pop-rock,alt.country type and I've grown tired of the scene here.(really not much of one).I'm leaning toward Austin Tx.,but I'm open to any suggestions.BTW, has to be somewhat affordable.Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Austin or Nashville. Nashville will be less expensive to live.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Seattle's music scene is terrific-lots of good clubs (that treat you fairly) and a very supportive, close knit (despite its size) music community. We have a good indie pop/rock and alt-country scene-this is not the type of place where you find cover bands. You might try reading the music columns in our alternative weeklies at www.thestranger.com and www.seattleweekly.com to get a feel for it.
However, I don't know if Seattle counts as affordable or not.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Hey christie1.How's it going? Thanks for the info. Will check out those sites. It's funny how the publics' perception of Seattle is automaticly grunge bands, but I'm sure theres'alot more going than that! An unfair label I'm sure. I have thought about Seattle but wasn't sure I could afford it. Seems to have everything you could want in a city. BTW,what about all the rain? Ha,Ha.. sure you never heard that before! Thanks again.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

christy1,forgot to ask about apartment rentals. How high?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Definitely Austin. Definitely. I'm sure I don't have to tell you the big name talent in the Austin/Hill Country area. It used to be Rober Earl Keen and a couple of others but now a lot of guys (and girls) are breaking out big and not just considered regional talent : the Robison brothers are finally getting their due, Pat Green, Monte Mongtomery,and a long list of younger guys coming up. Austin isn't necessarily expensive for renters--and food, going out, gas, etc is cheap like everywhere in TX. South by Southwest is coming up in March--you should check out the website.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Yeah, "Grunge" (a word no one here used or uses) was a term made up by MTV and the media, it didn't actually reflect the scene here, which had a lot more pop/rock/alt-country bands than it did Nirvana wanna-bes. Rents really aren't that bad-lots of people share houses, which will run you 400-500 for a decent room in, say, a 4 bedroom. You can get a decent 1 bdm in a cool neighborhood (ie Ballard, Capitol Hill, Fremont) for $700-$800, less the further you go from the city center.
It isn't rainy as much as it is grey. People from sunny climes really do get down in the winter here, since sunny days are few between Nov-March. People from, say, the Midwest have no trouble adjusting since they're so happy to be done with freezing cold winters and humid summers, but people from California have a hard time.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Speaking from the perspective of someone who grew up in the SF Bay Area and recently moved to Seattle:

the music scene is hugely vibrant up here...Death Cab for Cutie is one of the more recent big bands to come from here -- definitely NOT in any way like grunge. There are more clubs to see great local bands up here than in SF....and that's saying ALOT, since the music scene there is terrific.

Weather: OK...I'm from Palo Alto, a place with 250-275 sunny days per year. Bottom line: Seattle is hardly bad. The temp rarely gets below 40 (EVEN at night in January!) in winter, and the summers here are near perfect. The rainy season is from late October til early June, but unless you live in SoCal or a desert, this should not be horrible. AND when people say it's cloudy up here, it's leaden gray maybe 1 day out of three up here in winter. The other 2 days are either partly cloudy or clouds mixed with sun. Don't believe the (non-)hype about the weather. Seattleites use it to keep the Californians away and the real estate prices down.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input everyone.Can't say as I blame all the Seattle weather mis-information.I've heard that It's not as rainy as outsiders think.How's the public transportation there?Is it essential to have a car? Thanks again.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

Public trans. is decent as long as you live in the city. If you live in neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, the University District, and Fremont, no, you don't NEED a car, but I'd still recommend one (or, at least do something like flex-car). How else will you get your gear to shows? Also, there are so many great outdoor recreations opportunities near Seattle-mountains, islands, etc, that without a car you will be missing out.