Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Entertainment book, coupons and card - how to use?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Faina

Hello,
a very naiive question, still... I got the entertainment book, I understand how to use the coupons. However there is a card enclosed, and when I registered it on the website they send me an e-mail telling me I can use the card anywhere it's accepted. Is it true? Let's say the book with the coupons is for San Francisco area, can I use the card in New York? Can somebody tell me please how it works?

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
bettyk

Faina, I have the Houston Entertainment Book. On the back of the card are numbers from 1 to 170. These numbers correspond to restaurants in the book that honor the card but don't use coupons (usually more upscale restaurants). When I go to one of these restaurants and present my card for my "buy one get one free" lunch or dinner, they will punch their corresponding number on my card showing that I have used my freebie.

You will also need the number on the front of the card when making reservations at hotels shown in the book or when booking rental cars and discouned flights.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Christina

Entertainment books are local. So theoretically that card only works locally. BUt maybe it works in other states as a function of being a loophole... don't know. However, you'll notice in the front of th enteratinment book, that there is a "fancy" section. No coupons, but probably menues from expensive restauratns, etc. This is the section that correlates to the card. So, after you go to one of those restuarants, you present the card as you order. They will take the discount off when they bring you the bill. They will return the card with the hole punched out.
Hope this helps. If you use it, it's a great book.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Faina

Thank you both! Who said you can't get a serious answer on Fodor's

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Molly

Faina, you've probably already noticed, but look closely at each restaurant description before using your card for dollar limitations and the period that the offer is good for - say Monday thru Friday. The card is not good on major holidays.

Last year at least, there were offers for other cities on the website, not listed in the book. I imagine this is what they meant. I've never tried using these offers, so can't tell you if they're easy or not to redeem.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:26 PM
bettyk

Molly, the book is really easy to use. Many of the better restaurants are good for either lunch or dinner 7 days a week (excluding holidays) up to a value of $12-15 or so. I also used the discount on Continental Airlines (only 5% from Houston) and saved way more than the cost of the book. Even with the few coupons I use for movies, fast food, etc., it has been well worth the investment.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Faina

I will definitely get my money worth - got enough vacation points at a hotel for a free book. Somebody on this website said sign up as a frequent guest with a hotel, so I did. And it worked! Of course the hotel's website offered the best rates. (Eat your heart out tourist agents

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Molly

I agree, Betty - the book IS easy to use! Well-worth the price, though others degree.
It's the ease of using offers {from web site only} at areas beyond the scope of the local book's offers that I'm unclear about.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Sherry

The hotel chains and hotels listed are discounts off the rack rate, no matter where you go. If you buy an SF book, you can use your card at, say, the Radisson Kauai.