Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Credit card change - impact existing reservations?

Aug 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I am going on a trip to Spain and have booked all hotels last week (all hotels were guaranteed by credit card, but there won't be any charges until I am on location). A few days later, I hastily agreed to a credit card upgrade (to a much better one), but I am now worrying about the possibility of all of my existing hotel reservations being interrupted, since the old credit card is no longer valid. Should I get in touch with my hotels once I receive the new card or is this no biggie? The thing about getting in touch with overseas hotels, sometimes nuances might get "lost in translation", e.g. they might inadvertently duplicate the reservations, etc.

My financial institution is assuring me there will be no interruptions, but, knowing humanity's tendency to err, I would like to get some feedback elsewhere. I tried looking for some info here, but it is both scant and dated. What do you folks think?
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM

I always have a file of hotel reservations I've booked for future vacations, and my card has been compromised several times so the card used is no longer valid. I've never had a problem.
You will be asked for a card when you check in, so no activity will be charged before then.
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Aleta, thank you. What if they decide to "check" or "authorize" the credit card at some time before I show up? Technically, the credit card that they have on file right now is no longer valid. Am I seeing too much into this?
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:22 PM

I believe the only time the hotel would try to verify the card on file is if you were a no show and they wanted to charge one nights stay because you did not cancel. I think you have nothing to worry about.
Aug 12th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Do you still have the old card? If so, take it with you and explain.
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. StCirq--yes, I still have the old card, but if they should cancel the reservations on me in the interim, it will be too late for explanations when I get there.

Would anyone else like to weigh in?
Aug 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM

You should have no problem...I have had this situation too. Just inform them when you arrive.
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM

As others have said, I don't think you'll have any problems. However, if you're still concerned about the hotels processing a charge on your card before your arrival or canceling your reservations, then you should probably just contact the hotels and ask them if you should update your cc info. The possibility you stated about nuances being lost in translation seems minimal, and worth it for your peace of mind. The consensus here seems to be the same that it's not an issue. But if you're still doubtful, then in the end, they're really the ones who can guarantee that your worst fear won't happen.
Aug 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Forgot to add - unless it says somewhere on your reservation that they'll be taking a 1 night's (or more) deposit, I'd be surprised if they suddenly charged your card out of nowhere. Usually that only happens when the reservation is first placed, or as gh21 noted, if you are a no show. I really do think you'll be ok, but do whatever puts you at ease. And at least you've got the hotel part of the planning out of the way!
Aug 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the feedback!!!!
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM

I recently made numerous hotel bookings using booking.com and quoted a credit card to guarantee bookings. Credit card was later compromised and therefore replaced. I had similar concerns to you. Having just returned from relevant trip however, I only had a problem with one hotel that tried to preauthorise the card (about 10 days before my planned arrival). I received an email from booking.com advising there was a problem and how to fix it. Was easily resolved. Never had a problem anywhere else.
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
ira

Hi D,

>Am I seeing too much into this?

Yes.

If it bothers you, email the hotels with your new CC number.

Enjoy your visit.

Aug 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM

This happened to me with reservations in Italy. I emailed the hotels, explained simply that the card I had used was no longer valid and I would send a new cc number. (Always send two emails when sending cc details, sending just parts of the entire number in each). I did this and asked the hotels to confirm receipt. They did. Problem solved.
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Hi Dewitt,

I am going to Europe in about 2 weeks, and just went through something similar. I had booked using a Credit card that has a high foreign currency transaction fee. I just got another card with zero foreign currency transaction fee, and wanted to use it instead.

I emailed the hotels about not charging the current card that holds my reservations, and that I plan to use a different card. All three hotels (Paris, Murren, Lucerne) got back to me within 24 hours confirming that this should not be a problem and they'll not charge my current card.

Maybe contact them directly and let them know. Worth the peace of mind, in my opinion.
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM

IME if they are going to do a token charge in order to check the validity of the card they will have done so by now.
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - you are making this so much easier for me with your generous sharing and advice!
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM

The only time I ever had a problem was when I was checking in w/ British Airways-almost didn't get on the flight! They demanded I use the same card I used to make the reservation! I tried over and over to explain that I no longer had that card due to fraudulent activy! I had to make quite a fuss to finally/barely make the flight! The hotels I had booked with that card were no problem!