advance purchase?

Jul 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

advance purchase?

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Boston and we are going to make reservations at a hotel about a month or two in advance and will be paying with a debit card. I have came across the "advance purchase" option and also read a little bit about it. What I do know from reading is that the full amount is paid at the time of booking, but I still have a question about it. 1. Does this mean they will not put a "hold" on any of my funds when I check-in or check-out of the hotel? Any other information on this topic would be great! Thanks!
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM

They may well put a hold for "incidentals". It will be less than it would be if you hadn't prepaid. Why are you paying with a debit card rather than a credit card? If you pay with a debit card and anything goes wrong you're out of luck, with a credit card you can dispute the charge. Plus, it's just safer not to use a card tied directly to your checking account.
Jul 28th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Generally, advance purchase is a non-refundable booking that gets a discounted rate, and there isn't any other hold at that time.

But whether a hotel puts a hold at check in . . . is a hotel-by-hotel policy. You need to ask the hotel.
Jul 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Didn't see thursdayd's post. My hunch is you are using a debit card because you don't have a credit card, right?
Jul 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM

janisj - as in one time poster, who joined Fodors this month.
Jul 28th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Rastaguy: Yes he is a first time poster (I did know that BTW). Seems a totally reasonable question from someone who doesn't travel/stay in hotels much.

Search this Thread