Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Reservations - book with credit card or debit card?

Feb 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I need to book hotels in Italy and Paris.

I would rather not put them on my credit card (new year's resolution!), but I know it gives me some protection.

My debit card has MC logo, and I've used it for hotels in the US, just not sure if that will work in Europe.

Thank you.
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM

I think most of them won;t take a debit card. When you use a credit card they put a "hold" on the card - so they know they're geting their money. They can't do that with a debit card - you could make the reservatinons and them withdraw all the money tomorrow -and they would have no way to collect.
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM

I've used my debit card (MC or Visa branded) at many hotels when they don't take AmX. Unless I am specifically placing a "deposit" they have not taken money out of my account until I got there.
Feb 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Hello LVmom. I would use the credit card. If by some odd chance there was fraud it is easier to get a credit to your card then it is with a debit card to your checking account..much faster too. Do you have a credit card that credits you with Frequent Flyer miles? If so that is another good reason to use a credit card. I use my FF credit card for everything however I always have the money in my checking account to pay the credit card statement in full when I receive it so I have never paid any interest. Just a thought. What if you opened up a second checking account and deposit money into it, the same amount as you are putting on your credit card. That way you would know for sure you would have the proper amount of cash to cover your credit statement when you receive it. Also you could obtain a second debit card for your second checking account which is good to have just in case your first debit card does not work at any ATM's while on your trip. Just some thoughts as to what has worked for me. Best regards.
Feb 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM

You can 'hold' the reservation with a credit card, then PAY it with a Debit card when you get there.
Feb 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Please do not use your debit card.
I just went through a nasty experience online and found out many others had gotten worse than I. It was not a European supplier "upfront" but apparently is offshore somewhere.

I ordered a sample online for $5.95. using my debit card which I never do online, but for some reason this time I did.

the item arrived and my debit card showed $5.95.

Only a week later there was a charge for $88.92 from the same company. At that point I went to the bank and explained and they changed my debit card number so that the company couldn't charge me again.

Googling complaints on this product and company online I found out people who had been charged %5.95 and then %67, or $88.92 weekly !!!! Since they didnt check their bank accounts often they didnt find out right away...and the company keeps changing their phone number or hanging up when you demand the refunds.

PLEASE DONT USE YOUR DEBIT CARD UNLESS ITS YOU AT THE ATM !!
Feb 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I'd use the credit card too - the ease, the protections, etc. Plus, unless you are prepaying your reservation, you can pay with your debit card once you get there - like others have said. And besides, although I understand that you have a new years resolution not to use your credit card, there isn't any material difference between using your debit card and having the money deducted right away and using your credit card and then paying off the balance. If you have a habit of overspending on a day to day basis when you use your credit card, then by all means, don't use it on a day to day basis - but use it when it makes sense.
Feb 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM

ATL Trvlr

They don;t take money out of your account. If a debit card has a Visa or MC logo on it they have put a "hold" on that much of your money on the credit section of the card. You won't see it charged - you never see a "hold" charged - until after you actually have used the service. Then they take the charge and release the hold. If your debit card doesn;t have a Visa/MC on it - they won't use it since they can't "hold".
Feb 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Mahya2 has the right advice. Don't let your numbers sit anywhere other than in an ATM with you right next to it. There are too many sad, bad stories from people who have learned this lesson the hard way to ignore. Ask your local banker and they will all give you the same advice. It is much harder for you (and them) to take care of issues with theft in another country. Use your credit card while abroad and vow to pay it back with the money you have subsequently kept safe in your bank account.

--Annie
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM

"If your debit card doesn;t have a Visa/MC on it - they won't use it since they can't "hold"."

Yes, since OP said that the debit card had a MC logo on it then I was trying to say that it should not make a difference with regard to the hotel - if she would rather use the debit card to hold the room she should be able to.

And maybe I am more obsessive about checking online but I have found charges on both my AmX and my Visa/MC Branded Debit that were not mine. In either case I called (or for AmX went online) and the charge was removed while it was investigated and then removed for good.

I do use my credit card as often as I can, to get FF miles and so that I don't have to keep track of my bank balance every day. But many places do not accept AmX and in those cases I hold them with my branded debit card and have not had a problem.