Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had any problems with credit/or debit cards not being accepted?

Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be in the turks and caicos next week for the first time and I am wondering about what to bring for paying for things: debit card, credit card or cash? Any problems using these?
Thank you,
Kelly
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check with your credit card provider.

Enjoy Yourself
http://airfaresecrets.penangmen.com
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
iw

The only time(s) that I have had my credit/debit not be accepted was when I forgot to call my card company and tell them that I would be out of the country. It even happened in January when I forgot to tell them that I was in Vegas. I would have cash on hand for the smaller places, but most everyone will accept a card.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM
KVR

I've never had a problem using a credit card. Debit cards can be tricky as they only allow so much being taken from the card at one time. I've always contacted the credit card provider and told them our vacation dates. Our last trip to Cancun, we had a back up card for emergencies and I did not notify them of our vacation. We ended up charging a large amount on it. The transaction when through just fine, but when we got home we had 3 messages from the card company's fruad department. Never did get through to a live person in their fraud deprtament to let them know we did in fact make the transaction. Tried several times over 3 days. Never was a problem.

We try to book tours on-line with a credit card before leaving on vacation, and then pay for everything else in cash. I don't like using the card once we are at our destination unless it's an emergency.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Call your debit/credit card provider and tell them the dates you will be traveling and your return date. I asked my bank about travellers checks when traveling and he told me that travellers checks are on their way out because they are not accepted as much as credit/debit cards. As I travel to places more and more, I have always either brought cash or my debit/credit card. Hotels usually have in-room safes and we used them all the time.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Debit Cards MUST be a Visa/Mastercard in order to be accepted for payment.
Debit Card used for ATM's must have the correct provider. Cirrus, NYCE etc.

When you leave a deposit using a debit card, that money is put on hold and kept for quite some time.. Not the same as a credit card, where it is released as soon as the bill is paid in full.

For those on a budget.. this can tie up you money and prevent you from getting cash from an ATM, or using that held money for purchases.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM

I always bring a MC, an AMEX, and an ATM. That way I'm covered no mater what. scubagirl is right about debit cards. The hotel will put a hold on a cc, so will the rental car. You are better just using it to take cash out of the ATM and bringing a couple of cc's for everything else. The IGA takes cc's.

Peace, Greenie
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM

I would strongly recommend AGAINST using your DEBIT card to make purchases. If your number is stolen, whatever cash you have in your account will be gone before you know it. Dealing with a stolen CREDIT card number is somewhat easier.

I have never called my credit card companies (Visa and/or Mastercard) to tell them I'd be out of the country and have never had any problems using them on trips, including Turks and Caicos. Only once did one of my CCs made a rental car company in Mexico call them to make sure I was the user.

I do always take 2 CCs on trips, in case one is a problem for whatever reason.. I still have the other one to use.

However, we're huge cash users (I think we might be the minority on this). We tend to bring a lot of cash on trips as we don't like to put charges on our CCs. We use our CCs only for the hotel, car rental and if we have a big purchase.

You should stop at your bank before your trip and get some singles and 5s for tips.

Enjoy your trip.