Taxi with baby in Provo? (no car seat)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving tomorrow for Provo. We are traveling with our 9 month old son, and are only going for 4 nights, so we're not renting a car. We've been before to the island, but not with the baby. Do we just get a taxi at the airport to the hotel? We are staying at the Alexandra. Also, we won't have a car seat with us, so I'm not sure how that works in the taxi. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM

hi beachgirl86, there is a live chat assistance tab on alexandra web site. i wrote them and they replied. i have separated my questions from her replies by spacing. here's the conversatioin:
Please enter your question below and press the send button. We will be with you shortly.
Your chat session has been established.
welcome to Alexandra reservations

my name is Val
how may I assist you?

is there a way to get to alexandra from airport with a 16 month old child. not traveling with a car seat. would any taxis have one?

good question
not many of the taxis here have that
if you're bringing a seat that's fine

no not bringing one

however, it is possible to sit in the back (especially if you're in a large van which a lot of the taxis are here)
back of the van that is
and hold him/her
its only about a 15 minute drive

so it is legal to do this i ask because it is not legal in the states

sorry about the wait

that's ok

I'm not actually sure if it is or not; the 'laws' are not very inforced here in the Caribbean even if it was
my recommendation would be
to bring it if you are able to that way; you can easily get around and be comfortable in either a cab or a rental car
if you're not able to, just
take a cab when you get here (ask for a van if you can which would reduce your risks) and then
when you get here get in touch with one of the car rental companies
and just rent one for when you're on the island (other cabs, rentals, etc)
does that make sense to you?

oh that's a great suggestion. thank you so much for your assistance today val
have a wonderful weekend

and you as well
Bye for now

bye

The agent has disconnected from this chat session.

hope this helps you out.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I don't mean to sound hash or uncaring but since you don't seem to be too worried about holding your child in your lap for several hours on a plane flying at 400+ mile an hour why are you so concerned about holding your child on your lap for the 10 or 15 minutes cab ride between the airport and your hotel?

As the other poster said cabs do not routinely have car seats available so if you are not planning to bring your own car seat and you are not planning to rent a car (presumably from a company that has car seats available) you have only two options - 1) Call one of the rental car companies and see if you can rent just a car seat or 2) Do what us senior citizens der folks did when our kids were small - hold the baby on your lap.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Sit in the back of the taxi with the baby on your lap. Do the same thing airlines do, do NOT put the seat belt around you and the baby. Hold him with your arms. The general consensus is that the seat belt itself would seriously hurt the baby (cause internal injuries) if there's an accident. Is this your first plane ride with your son? My unsolicited 2 cents. We did the lap thing on our first flight with our son. It was really uncomfortable. Our son was always a big boy. Anyway, we never did it again. Hope your son is a tiny one to make it more comfortable for all of you. Have a great time.