COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Capital One No Hassles Ultra Reward Credit Card?

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking at getting a new credit card that gives better rewards (and doesn't have some of the fees) that my current Visa does.

From what I hear, the Capital One cards do not have an international transaction fee associated with purchases made from outside of the country.

I'm hoping someone can let me know how easy it is to redeem the awards. Personal experience anyone?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:10 PM

We have a Capital One Platinum MC. I can't tell you anything about reward redemption. But I can tell you that you will pay the 1% MC conversion fee outside of the country. However, many other cards tack on their own 2%.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

I have a more plain, ordinary Capital One card. I got it because CO does not charge me 3% like Bank of America does. As a result, my BOA card stays in deep reserve when I am outside of the US.

The Capital One card so far has resulted in a 1% markup for use outside of the US.

My major objective to the card is the small credit limit. My AAA card issued originally through MBNA and my BOA card both have good credit limits.

I asked for a limit increase and was told that I could not do that. They would decide for themselves if I deserved more. Well, the end result is that my AAA card, as long as it does not charge me more than 1%, gets more use!

Sorry Capital One, but if you up my limit, I would use it more.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM

I know what you mean, Bob. Our Capital One card is in my husband's name. Over the years, I've gotten very attractive offers from them in the mail. Both times I've tried to take them up on it, I've been denied. But I've had no trouble getting a couple of Chase rewards cards, even though we already had one or two in my husband's name. I think Capital One has a lot higher standards than many other cards.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM

CAPH52, what do you mean <Capital One has a lot higher standards than many other cards>? I am thinking about getting Capital One and pay less than 3% Chase Visa charges for foreign purchases. I would like to have a credit line at least 15,000. Is it possible with Capital One?

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM

I switched to Capital One Visa after getting worked over by Bank of America on a recent trip to Spain.

I'm pleased with the 1% cash back (2% on gas and groceries), and I'm waiting to see if there is going to be a currency converstion fee for charges made on a recent trip to Canada.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:54 AM

happytrailstoyou, please let me know how your Canadian charges look on your statement. Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

One more thing, what do you mean 1% cash back and 2% on gas and groceries? Please explain how does it work. Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:44 AM

What I meant was that they have tougher requirements in terms of income, outstanding debt, etc. I have no idea what you might qualify for with them. I assume the reason I've been turned down is that the vast majority of our income is my husband's and he already has a Capital One.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM

Thanks. I need to check with them. Shouldn't be any problem regarding income, no debts.
How and why do you get 1% cash back?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

We don't get 1% back on ours, just airline miles. Someone else will have to answer that.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM

lovesadventure- Can't recommend Capital One. I canceled my CO card recently. Two friends have done the same. They seem to look for any excuse to charge penelties and refuse to even consider waiving even in unusual circumstances. "Our policy is not to waive fees". They also refuse to raise even very low credit limits despite an immpeccible credit history.
You can do better.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM

Fortunately, I haven't yet run across the problems becalm mentions. (We've had the card for several years but it's not our "primary" card.)

However, in their defense, I have to say that, when we had a dispute as a result of using it in Ireland this past March, Capital One settled it very efficiently. And everyone I spoke with during the process was polite and helpful.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM

Mama,

The No Hassle Cash Card works like the Discover Card, except the Visa is accepted just about everywhere and Discover isn't.

There is no fee, and instead of getting airline miles, I get $.01 for each dollar I spend and $.02 for each dollar I spend on groceries or gas. For example, when I charge $1,000 on my visa I get a $10 refund. However, if $300 of the $1,000 is for groceries and gas, I $6 for that portion and $7 for the remaining $700--a total of $13.

I did the math and decided that no fee and cash back is a better deal than $40 a year for Membership Rewards at American Express--especially now that it takes so many miles to book a seat on an airline.

I pay my AmEx and Visa bill in full each month, so I haven't run into fees. However, when I asked AmEx to waive my annual membership fee, they told me that they never waive that fee.

I will let you know if I am slapped with unwanted charges for my expenditures in Canada.

Happy Trails to You
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM

I got a Capital One card when my AAA VISA started to charge foreign currency conversion fees. I had no trouble getting it, and it has a decent credit limit.

It is the one that gives air miles with purchases, and they did not charge a conversion fee when we used it in Paris this spring.

I was told by my old card company that someone had sued VISA over their fees, and that resulted in the showing of the fees on statements but that they had always been charged, just not shown as an extra.

I, too, always pay the account off monthly in order not to accrue any interest charges, but I have found CO very easy to deal with. I haven't got enough miles yet to use, but I'm out there charging and charging.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I have a Miles One Business card from Capital One. I just spoke to them and was told that there is NO foreign currency fee on the card.
I also get either airline miles or 1% cash back. I think there are also other rewards such as gift cards to several stores.
I was initially given a low credit limit, but I call them every 6 months for an increase.
Also, there is no annual fee.
It is a little bit of a pain with some of the issues already mentioned, but we have made money off of this card and I use it constantly.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM

We have a Capital One Platiun Rewards card. I don't believe they charge any international transaction fees, not that I've noticed anyway. We get 1% back on all purchases and they just credit the amount to our account every June. It's the Canadian version of the card, so I don't know if it differs in the US. The interest rate is atrocious so we use our line of credit to pay it off every month.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Sorry...that should be PLATINUM...
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Can anyone share their experiences of using the card to get free airfare miles?
thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO