Eastgate or Skyline hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Narrowing it down and these are 2 choices.
What would you choose and why?
Which has better: area,transportation and location to Times square and theaters
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM

i had to look up the skyline. it's just two blocks, but long ones, from the theater district. eastgate is a nice hotel but you'd want to take a taxi to the theaters. what else are you doing? the skyline looks nice and must be new, the eastgate is ok, but there really isn't much around it. both are away from the nightmare of times square itself.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM

I suggest you read the reviews on tripadvisor. The reason I say this is because I remember seeing the Skyline when going to and from the Javits and thinking "no way" so I looked it up and the website does look inviting but TA reviews seem to agree with my first impression.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

Skyline is definitely not new. Have never been inside but have passed it numerous times and it looks fairly tatty.

Eastgate is a short cab ride or a plesant walk from the theaters. (I find that I always like a walk to stretch out the cramps from sitting for so long - but I know a lot of people from outside NYC see walking as a challenge rather than a pleasure).
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM

Neither of these are brilliant choices. The Skyline is on 10th ave. (very far west) and used to be a good option for folks driving in with cars (they charge $10/day parking). It's been "renovated" (tarted up) and they raised their prices. It has a pool. It still looks like a motel, very unusual for NYC.

The Eastgate is the least expensive of the Affinia.com hotels. It's a suite hotel with kitchens and large rooms but very basic and dated decor. It's on the east side. So I'd guess the only thing they share in common might be price. Flip a coin. I wouldn't pick either.

The Skyline is closer to Times Square and theaters, but a long few avenues west. 9th ave. at least has some restaurants now but you'll have to go to 8th ave. to find more activity.

I'd suggest you go to maps.google.com and map both these hotels and get street views. You can also map some of the other stops you'll make and see what's where.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM

My brother and his family stayed at the Eastgate - no complaints. Very clean, decor was not on par with the renovated Plaza (lol) but it was hardly a dump. Transportation was close by, as were restaurants for breakfast and you can walk to the theaters - it's really not far. I feel it is a more convenient location than the Skyline. They said they would stay there again.