East Cost Plans... finally!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as a long drawn out saga - I started planning a trip to Europe with my dd. She had foot surgery and was housebound (see: me too) for a very long time... seemed like years but it was not.

She was to have another surgery in Jan so Dad and I decided it would be best for her to do a distance education program for the 6th grade.

I know! I have an idea!!! Let's go to Europe when she is well enough to walk! I know?!!?? I have an idea... let's do it for five weeks and do an language immersion program and a holocaust study??!!! F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S???

I know??!!! Let's have the entire thng BOOKED and then decide to cancel it because you are aniexty driven over the time away from home, the current finances in your own home as well as the world...

I know???? Let's plan a more resonable trip here in the US instead.??? Ding-ding-ding ...we have a winner. At least today ;-)

Okay...

If you are still with me -- dd and I leave one week from today!

I only have slight anxiousness setting in (which is truly amazing considering the type of traveler I am in general)

Here is our schedule:

Oct 7 Depart LAX - arrive JFK late
transportion through Carmines car service to Hilton Garden Inn Time Square

Oct 8 - Legally Blonde 2:00 pm
dinner reservations at Tavern on the Green. Want to take a carriage ride to get there in Centeral Park? Is this easy to do?

Oct 9 - day open - might be going to see family in Staten Island
5:00 pm dinner reservations at Cafe de Artist <sp> 7:00 pm HairSpray

Oct 10 - Leave New York to visit friends/family

Oct 11 Family

Oct 12 - family in the am and drive to Lancaster for the day night -

Oct 13 - morning in Lancaster drive to Intercouse and over to Philly at some point.. check into Marriott and drop off rental car rest of day open

Oct 14 - Independence Hall 10:00 am reservations

GTG that night!!!

Oct 15 - train from Philly to Williamsburg (long train ride)
Williamsburg Inn - Ghosts tour that night
Oct 16 day in Williamsburg - train to Richmond
picked up by friend!!!!

Oct 17 - spend day in Richmond with friend

Oct 18 early train to DC - washington monument at 2:30 pm

Oct 19 - holocaust musuem

Oct 20 - open

Oct 21 - open

Oct - 22 head home to Orange County!!!

Open to hearing any tips about the areas we are headed...

Gracias as always!!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

East COAST.... must have $$$$ on the brain.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM

NOt to be discouraging - but Tavern on the Green is really not worth the very high prices - food is mediocre and service both poor and supercilious.

For that much I would really look at other options.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler - is it that bad? I have heard all bad reviews but heard it might be worth the "experience"? No?

Thanks for responding. I value your feedback.

Dawn
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Never eaten there, never want to . . . Manhattan has too many other good choices.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

sigh - that is pretty much the general over all attitude of most Ellen - cannot dispute that... It looked "magical" to me.

Not great food is "okay", meaning i can overlook that for experience... - poor service is not though...
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM

For me, I'd rather eat heavenly food in a plain room.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I was trying to have an "experience" for dd. The best food I had in Florence was in a back room type place filled with all locals eating lunch..no real menus - ran out of the special. I completely agree with you but wanted something of an experience - twinkling lights, carriage ride... I hope I am not completely missing the boat.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Whatever else you do on October 14th, please DON'T make the rookie tourist mistake of eating lunch at The Bourse because it's close to Independence Hall and the Constitution Center.

If you want a great quick lunch, head back into Center City and eat at Reading Terminal Market near the Marriott (but avoid the cheesesteak line full of rookie tourists lining up for that poor excuse of a steak - everything else is great, just not that steak shop). If you want a good cheesesteak, walk down to South Street and go to Jim's Steaks at 4th & South.

The Mutter Museum at the College of Physcians is excellent - every pre-teen and teen relative I have ever taken there has loved it for the gross-out factor.

Eastern State Penitentiary is a good visit during the day. In October, they start offering some night tours - but not sure if they will have started yet - usually start them up close to Halloween to capitalize on their rep as being one of the most haunted spots in Philadelphia.

You cannot walk anywhere near Central Park as a NYC tourist without 20 carriage drivers tripping over themselves trying to get your business. It will not be a problem finding a driver.

Holocaust Museum in DC is incredible, but really sad. I haven't been to it, but heard the Spy Museum is lots of fun. Any of the Smithsonian Museums are excellent - kids usually love the Air & Space Museum.

Old Sep 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Ceidleh - REALLY great information and insight - thank you So much!
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 02:42 AM

When our son was in 4th grade he was going to miss some school be cause of a family vacation. In the school library there were some thin historical books specific to different places that I made him read ahead of the trip for some background information. I specifically remember one for Mont Vernon because he recognized the little building in the garden that was used for lessons.
I have not been to the tenament museum in NYC but wouldn't that be a good tie in with a visit to Ellis Island?
I would also opt for a dim sum lunch in China Town. That's like taking a trip to another country. After having a fantastic culinary tour of Boston's North End, next time I got to NYC I want to take one of the specialty tours that have been mentioned here.
My son and his family just returned from a trip to Lancaster. I haven't been to that area in a very long time. My DIL said there were a lot of outlet malls. I hope you have a specific activity in mind. Years ago we took a bus tour that included a visit with a young Amish girl who told us more about their life. My son picked up some books about living without electricity.
Your trip sounds like it could be a great introduction to history and cultures.