Lenox Hill to LGA

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lenox Hill to LGA

Taxi, Uber, car service? Two people, minimal luggage, but don't want to schlep it around on the bus or subway (unless either require no changes). Budget counts, but so does reliability.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 08:33 AM

You've answered your own question. You need to take a car service (a flat-rate taxi, which you organize in advance) or Uber (which you don't). It will cost you about $40 or $45, but you just don't have any other choices. Everything else is hard and requires schlepping, particularly since you are staying very far from the subway.

FYI: I answered this on your other thread, but you are not going to Lenox Hill ... not even close. You're going to east Midtown or Turtle Bay. They aren't the same thing
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 11:44 AM

I live just east of that location. You want to take a car service. I asked about this a couple of weeks ago when I was headed to JFK. I used Carmel and was very pleased. Tell the driver to take the bridge; you will save the toll price that way.

This area is known as Beekman, or Midtown East, not Lenox Hill.

If you want info on eating in the neighborhood, just ask; I've been here for decades.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for correcting me about it not being Lenox Hill. (smacking myself upside the head). Midtown East, then.

Thank you for the suggestion to take the car service.

edscrunchy - yes, I'd love some suggestions for eating in that neighborhood. Husband won't eat sushi, but likes other Japanese food. He's not overly fond of Indian. Other than those, we're quite happy with anything, particularly ethnic and/or inexpensive. Happy hour tends to work very well for us as we like wine and very much like to drink it at reduced prices.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 02:02 PM

ekscrunchy... I remember going north on First Avenue and somewhere not too far from the tunnel exit there was a bar on the east side of the street that advertised a Happy Hour. Do you suppose it's still there. I'm so old my memory could be from 30years ago -

Anyhow, I've had to use a car service a lot recently and I've found 777-7777 to be
very reliable too.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM

There’s a fairly good Japanese grill restaurant called Gyu-Kaku on the corner of 50th and 3rd Ave. on the 2nd floor.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 02:02 AM

I will offer more neighborhood tips later, but for now, you are set for breakfast. The block between 53rd and 54th on First Avenue, west side of Street, has two very popular places for breakfast and light lunches.

Tal Bagels, with bagels ranked fairly high on NYC surveys, and all the usual toppings from nova scotia salmon (nova, to us) to egg salad to tuna fish salad. Nothing unusual here but iti is very popular.

Madison. Local Greek diner. Open all day into the night. Greek specialties along with the usual suspects, from eggs to roast turkey sandwiches. Also very popular. Probably the same food you remember from 40 years ago, in another diner in another place. Just higher prices.

Japanese, the most popular are the pair of ramen places, one above the other, just west of 2nd avenue on 52nd Street. Sit at counter, eat ramen and leave, but ramen is good.

http://tottoramen.com/

http://www.hidechanramen.nyc/

Best sushi, at prices commensurate with good sushi, would be at Sushi Seki, a bit north on First Avenue at 62nd Street. (You can take the bus or taxi if you like)

http://www.sushiseki.com/ues/

Very popular, with very popular oyster Happy Hour, is Crave Fish Bar, on Second Avenue @ 50th Street

http://cravefishbar.com/#!/menu

I don't know too much about Indian in this immediate area, as most places are inexpensive and not so notable, but I have had good dinners at Moti Mahal Deluxe, on First Avenue, which is a branch of the original in Delhi.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/di...manhattan.html

Gwen: I bet I know where you mean: That stretch of addresses just south of the Bridge on the east side. There have been all kinds of odd-looking places on that block, garish Middle Eastern, fussy-looking Italian, and a tapas place long nbefore NYC knew about tapas. I'm not sure what is there now but will look when I go past.

I am afraid I know nothing about Happy Hours in the area, but there are TONS of bars along Second Avenue in the 50s. The Smith is very popular and looks a little nicer than some of the others.

Let me say that while there are (also) TONS of restaurants in this area, I almosot never stay around here to eat, and would prefer to take a shared taxi, train, or walk, to neighborhoods with more interesting options. For example, head to Chinatown for Chinese. But by just walking a block or two west and north, you will find so many options it will make your head spin.

Nice Italian restaurant popular with my friends who live here, is MORSO @ 420 East 59th Street. But I have not been there, although I will try soon. It is owned by a very popular NYC-area chef and restauranteur, Pino Luongo.

http://www.morso-nyc.com/