Tavern on the Green - filed for bankruptcy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would post this since TOTG seems to be endlessly discussed here...either you love it or hate it.

Today's NYTIMES:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/di...tml?ref=dining
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Couldn't happen to a better place.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM

I think it's too bad, and will be a real shame if the contents have to be auctioned off. Ideally, IMO, someone would take it over as is and improve the food and service, but according to the article, it's a tough place to turn a profit, so that seems unlikely. Too bad.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM

We can alsways discuss do you go for just drinks or a meal after bankruotcy court.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM

It's a tough place to turn a profit since the food is so bad. Industry is always looking for sites to hold events and TOG used to be fairly popular, but I haven;t seen anything in my business held there in a couple of years - just too much bad food and bad attitude.

It's true the venue is beautiful - and I think someone committed to running it well could turn a profit - but in a recession people are less willing to put up with sub par for big bucks.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:20 PM

The real tragedy in this is the loss of clean bathrooms in Central Park. Access was allowed for anyone, not just restaurant patrons, as part of an agreement with the city. The potential new operators (the people from the Boathouse Cafe) in that space have supposedly renegociated so that there would be public bathrooms outside only, and the inside ones (i.e. the clean attended ones) would be only for the restaurant
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:58 PM

The current operators of TOTG have had their license to continue operations denied an the new operator is the same as the Boathouse Cafe as nyer said.

This is only good news for TOTG as The Boathouse is well run, great food and top service.

If the current operator had done a better job,,,,,. We used to sing at TOTG every Christmas Eve and it was indeed magical until we finished and had dinner, which was just ok. The place was always packed that night.

The new managemnt is due to take over the place in just a few months.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Gee..I've heard only negative things about the food at the Boathouse. I've never been myself.
Zagat reports a 17 for food--pretty low.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM

nyt, you need to read the article. I never realized that the Park Service extracts a hefty fee from the operator; plus the electric bill is sky-high, which makes sense; and lastly, maintenance on all that decor, esp. given the mobs TOTG attracts, is pricey. That's what I meant when I said it's tough to turn a profit there, even tougher than for most restaurants.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM

One thing that is interesting in this thread is the implied contradiction that "mobs go there" and "no one goes there because it's so bad". While costs may be exhorbitant and management may be lacking, I find it hard to imagine that the bankruptcy has anything to do with a lack of business itself. I thought the place was still drawing huge crowds.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM

The bankruptcy was a direct result of the lack of group business. Loads of individual people go there (though there has been a drop-off in the tourist business too), but the restaurant made its real money off company group events, weddings, etc. That business has dropped off the radar during the recession (and people were afraid to book because the current owners might lose their franchise, and that would force the restaurant to close for renovations right after Christmas). Thus the bankruptcy. It's was kind of a foregone conclusion. When you lose a long-time license to operate, you can't do any long-term planning. I'm kind of sad for the owners, but they did run the place into the ground themselves.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM

This is the companion review that appeared with the article posted at the top of this thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/di...tml?ref=dining
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM

My daughter and I stood on the patio several weeks ago so she could take pictures of the topiaries and it was packed,... I had no desire to go in but it was fun to watch the delighted dressed up tourists!!
So, I find it hard to beleive that business was down!?!?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Ahhh, I just read Doug Stallings post - that makes sense - the large groups, etc...
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM

And it was reported in the SF Chronicle about a week ago that TOTG will not be opening up what was their planned spaced on the top floor of the Metro Building which is next to the Yerba Buena Gardens in SF due to their bankruptcy filing. It was hoped that TOTG would bring the Metro building back to life as TOTG was hopping to bring in the convention groups for dinners and events.