Search

Driving

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving

Do you find that drivers in the South (i.e. South CAroliona, North Carolina, Alabama, etc) tend to drive at a more leisurely pace than those up north? It's a bit more hectic up north but when I travel down south, I find that things are slower and more laid back.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:23 PM
GoTravel

No because there are so many yankees retired down here.

Could you be a little broader in your generalization?

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Generalization may be true but you would have to agree that the lifestyle and pace is a bit slower. not that that's bad but it is. I found it in stark contrast to the north.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM

NASCAR was founded in North Carolina. That alone should be an end to this topic.

What roads are you driving on in North Carolina? It's not the ones I'm on.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

back roads of NC. You're right NASCAR was founded in NC and that does explain a lot. Thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I grew up in NC, and thought that we were the best drivers in the world
But now that I live in NYC, I think that you have to be a good driver here to stay alive!
WE will be going South in a week or so, I will see what difference there is, if we get crazy because someone is driving soooo slooooow in front of us
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

I think the slower pace is better for my blood pressure. Each time I drive in NYC or even DC, I have an episode. But, the "drive to survive" mentality has stuck with me so, get outta my way....
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM
GoTravel

Jason, usually back roads are slowed down by farm vehicles, school buses, and a church letting out (24/7). Back roads (2 lane) as a rule are slow.

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Once again, I think generalizations about region may be more accurately generalizations about the difference between urban/suburban and rural driving. Have lived up and down the East Coast and also in Chicago area, and for less than 2-cents, I'll note the following:

Rural drivers seem to me to drive more slowly "in town" compared to people who live in urbanized areas -- so if you are a city-slicker used to city driving, you are likely to drive right up the tail-pipe of a local driver in more rural areas when the light changes from red to green.

On the other hand, rural drivers seem to drive like bats out of hell at night on 2-lane roads and on the more open interstates.

I've had the "pleasure" of driving on the Wash.DC beltway and coped with those maniacal lane-jockeys, but the bubba-mobile (in Vermont as well as in SC) roaring up behind me at 95MPH at night on a back road scares me at least as much, maybe more. Nothing "laid back" or leisurely about that.