Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-297497/)

JJason Mar 13th, 2003 11:52 AM

Driving

Do you find that drivers in the South (i.e. South CAroliona, North Carolina, Alabama, etc) tend to drive at a more leisurely pace than those up north? It's a bit more hectic up north but when I travel down south, I find that things are slower and more laid back.

GoTravel Mar 13th, 2003 12:23 PM

No because there are so many yankees retired down here. <BR><BR>Could you be a little broader in your generalization?

JJason Mar 13th, 2003 12:30 PM

Generalization may be true but you would have to agree that the lifestyle and pace is a bit slower. not that that's bad but it is. I found it in stark contrast to the north.

ncgrrl Mar 13th, 2003 12:30 PM

NASCAR was founded in North Carolina. That alone should be an end to this topic.<BR><BR>What roads are you driving on in North Carolina? It's not the ones I'm on.

JJason Mar 13th, 2003 12:31 PM

back roads of NC. You're right NASCAR was founded in NC and that does explain a lot. Thanks.

Scarlett Mar 13th, 2003 12:33 PM

<BR>I grew up in NC, and thought that we were the best drivers in the world:)<BR>But now that I live in NYC, I think that you have to be a good driver here to stay alive!<BR>WE will be going South in a week or so, I will see what difference there is, if we get crazy because someone is driving soooo slooooow in front of us:)

JJason Mar 13th, 2003 12:47 PM

I think the slower pace is better for my blood pressure. Each time I drive in NYC or even DC, I have an episode. But, the &quot;drive to survive&quot; mentality has stuck with me so, get outta my way....

GoTravel Mar 13th, 2003 12:51 PM

Jason, usually back roads are slowed down by farm vehicles, school buses, and a church letting out (24/7). Back roads (2 lane) as a rule are slow.

soccr Mar 13th, 2003 01:00 PM

Once again, I think generalizations about region may be more accurately generalizations about the difference between urban/suburban and rural driving. Have lived up and down the East Coast and also in Chicago area, and for less than 2-cents, I'll note the following:<BR><BR>Rural drivers seem to me to drive more slowly &quot;in town&quot; compared to people who live in urbanized areas -- so if you are a city-slicker used to city driving, you are likely to drive right up the tail-pipe of a local driver in more rural areas when the light changes from red to green. <BR><BR>On the other hand, rural drivers seem to drive like bats out of hell at night on 2-lane roads and on the more open interstates. <BR><BR>I've had the &quot;pleasure&quot; of driving on the Wash.DC beltway and coped with those maniacal lane-jockeys, but the bubba-mobile (in Vermont as well as in SC) roaring up behind me at 95MPH at night on a back road scares me at least as much, maybe more. Nothing &quot;laid back&quot; or leisurely about that.