Another luggage locking question

Mar 12th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Lola

Another luggage locking question

I will be flying within the US. I bought those black plastic tie things for the luggage, but cannot for the life of me, figure out how to open them if I cannot bring scissors with me.
Should I wait until they are checked to lock them?
Maybe I am just tired but this has me dazed and confused. What do you folks do?
Thanks,Lola

Mar 12th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Having been reviewing the posts on this site, I've come up with several suggestions:

1) Get a security guard to shoot it off at the arrival end.
2) Since most hotels allow dogs, see if you can borrow someone's dog to chew if off for you.
3) Use fingernail or toenail clippers (of course they also have to be inside the checked luggage or they will be confiscated as mine were).
4) Ask the nearest terrorist if you can borrow his box cutter.
5) If going to San Francisco and staying in the Union Square area, borrow a switchblade from one of those dangerous characters lurking there that we keep getting warned about.
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Lola

Excellent Patrick!!
I especially like having the dog chew them off!
I don't worry about someone stealing my new lace whatevers as much as I worry about someone putting something IN my luggage..maybe too many Midnight Express movies?
Actually, now that I think of it, I do hate the thought of someone messing about in my luggage and new lace whatevers!

Mar 12th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Patrick, our wonderful problem-solver!

This and the French Laundry post are just too good! There have probably been more, but I just haven't seen them...

Keep it up!
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Lola,

This is easy. Buy a toe nail clipper. It will cut the plastic ties and you can carry the clipper on the plane.

Before I hear complaints, yes I use a brand new clipper bought soley to cut the plastic ties.
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:41 AM

In the last few flights I've taken, I never saw the bag again once I checked and surrendered it to go through Xray. No way in the 4 airports to get at the bag to put any kind of lock on it, so I'm wondering where Lola or others have been to be able to lock it AFTER it's checked.
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:11 AM

I didn't want lock mine, but I could have at both San Francisco and White Plains (NY) airports after they were cleared through inspection and xray a couple weeks ago.
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:32 AM

My son flew back to Japan with two bags full of belongings. He was allowed to check it in unlocked, have it xrayed, then put the locks on it. This was at Newark/Continental in Feb.
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:53 AM
TC

At the Minneapolis airport, bags are searched at the ticketing counter before check in. After that, the security guard will put one of those plastic closures on the bag. Do NOT attempt to do this yourself. My husband tried to do this and because he reached into the outside pocket of the bag to get the tie, it had to be searched again before checking. As far as cutting the plastic ties off goes, you are allowed to have a pair of scissors in the outer pocket of your CHECKED bag. You just can't have them in your carry on.
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Lola

this is great!
Has anyone worried about the idea that someone Bad, could put something Bad, in their luggage while it is sitting there, unlocked? Am I just getting more paranoid as this "war" situation goes on? Will they think of a new and better way to deal with this?
should I just shut up and get on the plane?

Mar 13th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I just flew Northwest a couple of weeks ago and we were allowed to place locks on our checked bags at both Memphis and Las Vegas after they went through security. Maybe it just depends on the airport or airline.