Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any info or experiences with new rules for checked baggage--no locks allowed!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Tammy

Leaving Sacramento Airport next week forTampa. Aware of the new rules,just wondering if anyone has experienced any difficulties???

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:35 PM
stolemynewshoes

Speaking as someone that has their valuables stolen by airline pilfering, do not leave anything you can't afford to loose in your luggage.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 01:40 AM
xxxx

Forgive my ignorance, but are we not allowed to lock our luggage??? What do we do instead?

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Mike

I use those plastic wire wraps. If the feds want to get into my luggage, they cut the plastic, and I know someone has been inside.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:45 AM
E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read in Sunday's paper that there's a plastic padlock thingie called a PrivaSeal. The idea is, screeners can cut it if they choose to hand-search your bag; if they don't hand-search, your bag stays securely locked, and you can cut the thing open yourself when you reach your destination. The article said they're cheap--about $5 for a dozen--and available through Magellan's, but that they've been sold out recently. Maybe another travel outfitter carries them?

Of course,the larger point is, you can't use real locks on your luggage anymore...
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Locking your luggage doesn't really secure it anyway - if someone wants to steal your stuff, they will. The best thing to do is not check any valuables - luggage locks or no.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:02 AM

And how do we protect the things we put in our luggage. Thieves are resourcefull, of course. They can just steal or rip the bags if they want to but a lock at least deters some thieves. A plastic thingy that can be cut easily is no deterrent at all.

Oh well, we'll just have to travel even lighter... Doggone it.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 10:46 AM

You know, I haven't locked my luggage in many years. Do you rally think that if someone wanted to get into a bag - most of which are soft by the way - that they couldn't? Don't put valuables in places strangers have access to them - luggage or otherwise. Problem solved.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 11:52 AM

On a recent trip to Las Vegas my companion picked up his luggage and when he opened it at the hotel there was a tag inside that said it had been searched. I guess they have to tell you. They have been really good at the airport also as far as asking if it is unlocked before it goes on it's way.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:11 PM

They have plastic locks at the airport.
My question is since you cannot carry on any scissors or knives how do you cut the lock open when you arrive at your hotel? Call room service and request a steak knife?
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Easy.....nail clippers. Toe nail clippers work best. They are allowed in carry on luggage.

I used them on a recent trip and it worked out fine.