Search

New Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Luggage

Hello all,

First, I want to say that the stolen luggage thread is awful! What a way to ruin a trip...at least we will all be more careful now!

Within that post, the poster mentioned some red luggage featured on the Oprah show, does anyone know the brand?...Now that I'm done w/grad school and hubby and I are starting to travel more we need some good luggage..We got two inexpensive sets over the last 8 years...both of which have fallen apart (one had a bad incident getting off the luggage belt!!). I would like something stylish and of a reasonable price...any suggestions? I couldn't think of a better group to ask!
Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:24 AM

go on Oprahs website and you can search for it.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

I'm usually pretty good at finding things on the web...no luck though!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:52 AM

I believe what you're looking for is www.longchamp.com. I did the search, and it comes up as pink luggage on Oprah's site, but you can get it in red as well as a variety of other colors!Belle.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I think that's it! Thank you
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
sandi

If it is Longchamp luggage be prepared to pay big bucks. And bright red or pink, while easy for you to locate, so will it be for others. And expensivie luggage, especially when arriving from overseas, is almost an immediate check by Customs. Also, these will be knocked around as much as inexpensive bags. I've never spent more than about $35-$100 for any one piece of luggage (in various sizes, even a duffle, all black); after 20-years they have come thru quite well.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:43 AM
bamakelly

The thread was my original story--the Oprah show had the original brand and lower priced imitations. I can't remember what the original brand was--Longchamp sounds like it could be right--but the knockoffs were Bath and Body Works, originally $75-ish, but they paid $40 on sale. My friends loved theirs so much they already looked for new ones. They found some on Ebay (new with tags, the Bath and Body kind) this week.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply bamakelly...I just saw a few on eBay. Too cute!

Good point about non-black luggage attracting attention. I just though that something w/a little color would be nice...I suppose I could do some nice luggage tags...
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never understand the point of having nice looking luggage, leather, etc. The idea is to look like you have nothing of value to steal!

Sure pick a different color than black if you like. Tie a ribbon on it, get a bright luggage tag, purchase a colorful security strap. I have never paid more than ~$50 for my suitcases (22-24" rollers) from places like JC Pennys or Marshalls.

*IF* I was going to invest, I would search out the absolutely lightest weight when empty style.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:57 PM

I ditto the cheap luggage route.

I bought a 26" rollerboard from Mervyn's for like $35 about 8 years ago and it's still chugging along with NO problems... It has traveled all over SE Asia and the South Pacific and to several third world countries - so it has taken a beating and it has never been ripped or torn once.

Maybe the luggage has been lucky... but either way, that original investment of only $35 has gone a long way in its return.

I agree with others: expensive luggage = please steal me, I'm valuable!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:46 PM

I agree with suze about getting whatever is the lightest weight!!!

I also agree, at least for me, expensive luggage is not necessary.

But I'm not sure I buy the idea that bright luggage means more frequent inspection. My sis borrowed some bright red luggage from a friend who travels frequently with it ( no c/o!) and we had no problem coming back to the states with it from Paris. Just FYI...Belle.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Try /www.ebags.com. I honestly believe if you have expensive luggage that you open yourself up to having it lost or stolen.. My luggage has been bought at outlet stores, beside e-bags. On the other hand other posters have bought very expensive luggage at TJ Maxx or Marshalls..and make sure it rolls or can be pushed on it's wheels.