Drinks at Mandarin Oriental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be leaving our nephew's recital/reception at Juilliard at approximately 8:00pm on a Thurs night in April. Is the bar (what's it called?) a fun place to go for a drink (good views?), or is it so expensive that "if I have to ask I can't afford it"? We'll be too late at the Juilliard event to plan for a Broadway thing, and will probably snack enough that we won't need an official dinner.

I thought wandering around the new Time-Warner center might be entertaining, but maybe not at night? Any advice on what to do in that area?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:05 AM

Mobar is gorgeous. I was a guest and didn;t pay attention to prices - but I would be very surprised at any drinks under $15 - probably more.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Since the Plaza Hotel is closing for awhile in May (or are we already too late?), maybe we should go there for the infamous martini rather than anywhere in Time Warner Bldg; is that worth doing?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:06 PM
mp

Not to be negative, but the Time Warner Center feels like a mall in Stamford to me (and a lot of other NYers) - upscale but soulless. It could be anywhere. I've heard the bar Stone Rose is expensive fun, (if you can get near, I've never been able to get close) and the bar in the MO is terrific - but also close to impossible after 5:00pm.

Be aware that Thursday night is a really busy night in NYC, too. I guess people go out before they go away on Fridays.

If I were going to something at Julliard, I'd use it as an excuse to go to 2 places - either have killer margaritas and guacamole at the westside Rosa Mexicano (also quite a scene, but quiets down after 8:00pm) or I'd wander around TW for a half hour or so, then go across the street to Gabriel's and have a plate of wonderful tuscan pasta and a glass of good wine, and watch all the media people table hop.

You'd be wise to reserve ahead at both.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:43 AM

mp, are you saying you reserve ahead to just have margaritas and guacamole at Rosa Mexicano?
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:54 AM
mp

Patrick - I'm a curmudgeon. I kinda hate the jockeying for a table in the bar area or for a a seat at the bar that can go on between 5:30 and 8:30 at some places . . . At Rosa Mexicano you can reserve a downstairs table and since it's kinda pricy, just order drinks and guacamole. Although of a lot of places, Rosa certainly has a nice system worked out and handles the crush at the bar very well.

But some people like to feel like they're eating in subway car . . . . go figure.