dress code clarification?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between "casual," "business casual," "smart casual," "smart chic," and "casual dressy?" I've seen all these terms on various web sites and am now scratching my noggin. A small group of us are coming to NYC next week and we'd like to avoid looking like morons (at least in the fasion sense - I don't expect help in other areas!) We're not booked into any "jacket required" restaurants, but if there's a fashion blunder you could help us avoid, we'd appreciate it.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Other than VERY upscale restaurants, where a jacket is needed, Neat is the way to dress.
NYC is a place where people live.

What would you wear at home to tour around? Wear it here too
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM
GoTravel

Casual: Anything goes but please don't wear your sweats.

Business Casual: men in jacket without tie and without socks.

Smart Casual: See above and wear eyeglasses.

Smart Chic: Seven Jeans, stilletos, boucle jacket, and eyeglasses.

Casual Dressy: See above and subtract eyeglasses.

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM

When I hear casual, I generally think that anything goes, although in NYC if I wear jeans, they're dark ones. The other terms all mean the same to me ... generally no jeans, dark colored, well-fitting pants and a nice top or sweater. This will do very well in almost all NYC establishments. If it's a warm weather location, I'd go with lighter color pants, capris or skirt.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Casual is jeans and tee/polo shirts. Busines casual is khakis or nice cords and a shirt with a collar. (For women nice skirt or trousers and a quality sweater/top/jacket.) Smart casual is trendier - but not dressier - lots of black and luxe fabics (leather, cashmere, silk).

Don;t know smart chic - seems redundant to me. And casual dressy is just ridiculous - unless you're planning on putting sequins on your jeans.

If you're asking about better restaurants at dinner time - for men nice slacks and sweater (or blazer if you like). For women smart slacks, heels or smashing boots and a cashmere sweater or silk blouse are fine. subsitute a smart skirt if you like - but in the winter you're generally better with slacks. And for everything - black is better.

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Don't get too hung up on how to dress. I agree with CyberUK: Dress 'neat' and you'll be fine - avoid sweatshirts and jeans for evening dinner.
Enjoy all NYC has to offer! I've been to restaraunts in NY wearing casual pants and a sweater...across from a woman in a formal dress!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Interesting thread as in SF this past holiday season 80% of the women had on jeans, usually with strappy highheeled sandles and great looking tops and jackets. It seemed as though the rest of the women had on black pantsuits.

The fellows seemed waaaay underdressed for these restaurants.

This in the good restaurants around Union Square. My daughter said at North Beach it was nothing (so to speak) but jeans with casual tops and jackets.

The European womens jeans of course looked more stylish.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input - I'll pass it along to the rest of our party. I know they're at home packing as we speak. (And re: the men/women - I've noticed that in a lot of places we go as well. I think women are more likely to make an event of an outing by making an extra effort with their appearance and are also more likely to sacrifice comfort for style. I mean, can you see a guy wearing the Manolo Blahniks etc. from Sex and the City?)
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM

igetaround - LOL. Actually while I was having cocktails and enjoying looking at the various tables (and also at dinner) I thought the women had all made an effort and the guys - well they basically looked a little underdressed for a round of golf. Too funny!!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:16 PM
GoTravel

igetaround, no, not Manolos for the gentlemen but Prada.

Prada: Downtown intellectual chic.

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Given the choice between looking like a moron (to quote the OP) and knowing what "casual dressy" means, I'd just as soon choose the former. When I go to NYC, I just pack all my black stuff and that's usually fine.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Hi Anonyomous, packing black IMHO is the smartest thing to do when traveling. Black works (or as they say "rocks")