What to wear in NYC?

Search

What to wear in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in NYC?

This might seem like a dumb question, but we are making our first trip to NYC. We are from Texas, most of which has become pretty casual, especially during the summer when it is quite hot! How dressy are Broadway shows and Tavern on the Green on summer nights? (Coats and ties for men? Long dresses for ladies?) Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:10 PM

No long dresses I think men wear coats to TOG but not sure about ties, I haven't been there in a while now..
It isn't quite as hot as Texas so you will most likely be comfortable~
I think you would just wear what you wear at home, light cotton skirts, slacks, tops. Bring along a light sweater or cover up for seriously air- conditioned places.
I know it is summer - I DO wear some colors during the day, but at night I still wear mostly black
Broadway shows are not that dressy. Some will show up in tees and shorts, others will get dressed up.
In the summer (to the theatre) I wear black sleeveless tops with a black straight skirt. Carry a black cardigan~ LOL, sorry, I must be the caricature of a NYer in all my black
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:36 PM

No need to dress up for the theater any longer unless you choose to do so to make the occasion more special in your own experience.

TOTG has no dress code, though jackets sans tie are certainly fine at night.

Be aware that TOTG has received very mixed reviews in recent years. Go there for the ambience or touristy experience if you desire. But much better dining experiences are available to be sure.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:58 PM

Just got back from NYC. We laughed as we observed what people wore! It was cool and rainy most of our week...that may have contributed to the clothing styles. It seemed everyone wore black, and khaki. NO patterns! It seemed sorta strange to me! Maybe the hot weather will bring out some baby blues and pink!!!

Regarding theatre...we didn't make it back to the hotel to change into skirts...so we scooted in wearing our comfortable touring clothes!!! Only felt a little uncomfortable at Enchanted April...which seemed to draw a "dressier" crowd! We had a blast! Enjoy!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:09 AM

You will see ALL types of dress in NY. Maybe you'll run into the Naked Cowboy or the Upper East Side Guy in a Pink Tutu.

I personally know the dress code at TOTG (it's so touristy now that they may have gotten rid of it), but I would say do NOT get too dressy or too casual (sequins scream "tourist", as do bright white sneakers). The same goes for a Broadway show. What would a NYer wear? A man would wear nice slacks or khakis with a collared shirt & dark shoes. A woman would wear something simple yet elegant...a little black dress if she wants to dress it up, or just a nice skirt and top or slacks and blouse. A cardigan is a must because you never know if a place is going to be overly air conditioned.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:28 AM

Suzanne has it rght I think.

& the person who noticed people dressed up little more, or down a little less, at Enchanted April: I think people dress the least well at the more touristy shows, which are in particular the long-run musicals like Lion King (if it's still running!). I think the newer shows and the more challenging dramas have more of a local audience, by which I mean the city & its nearby suburbs. So fewer people in sneakers & things that go with sneakers.

Downtown you'll get people dressed in less of a "nice business clothes" way but not necessarily in "tourist costume" -- like more stylish or youthful casual clothes. Off and especially off-off-Broadway a lot of the crowd can be theatre kids.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 11:40 AM

I just came back from New York. The weather was hot and sunny the entire trip. We saw four evening Broadway shows and I was really surprised at how casually the audience was dressed. They looked just as casual on average as the Los Angeles crowd I'm used to. Yes, some people were dressed up (coat and tie for men) but a surprising number looked like they had spent the day relaxing in Central Park. People did seem more dressed up in certain restaurants, especially those that cater to the lawyer/investment banker crowd. Still, if you are tight on space, you can do almost anything without the coat/tie. And definitely no need for a long dress unless you've been invited to a fancy private party.