Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please indulge me: Another "What to wear in New York" thread

Jun 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

I read all the "what to wear" threads and I know that the natives always reply with "wear whatever you're comfortable wearing." But please indulge me with answers to a couple of questions:

1. How dressy for Broadway? Do New Yorkers get way dressed up to see a show? I was thinking black slacks and a dressy top. I don't need to be the best dressed person there, but I don't want to look like a bumpkin either.

2. Are "city shorts" (the long, narrow shorts) popular for daywear in NYC in the summer? Last year I wore light colored long slacks in Italy and I felt like someone's great grandmother. I'm not a big fan of capris (although I own quite a few pairs) on people over 20 year old or over 100 lbs. I like touring in stylish jeans, but that doesn't seem too practical for July. Suggestions?
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM

1. You will see every kind of dress, from jeans and T-shirts, to business wear. A few may be a bit more 'sparkly.'

2. Your shorts will be fine, especially since you are traveling with your children--I doubt you'll be stopping for lunch at the Four Seasons.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
TC

Missypie, Just returned from a week in NY. No....sadly, people don't get dressed up for Broadway shows. Wear whatever you want. You will see everything from jeans and tee shirst to sparkles. I usually dress up a bit, just because I like to. I mean if you can't dress up in NY, then where??? As for the city shorts -- perfectly fine. I saw them everywhere on everyone. In fact, we bought some there when it turned hot.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM

People do not dress up for Broadway shows. You will see a lot of business casual, a few people more spiffy - and a bunch of people dressed like slobs.

City shorts are all over, trendy and fine to wear - and much more practical and cool than jeans. Capris and lightweight skirts are also fine.

(You will also see some tourists in regular ratty old shorts, giant white clown shoes and misshapen tee shirts as well - since there's no law against it - although there ought to be, unless actually running or playing tennis.)
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I always like skirts for the summer over anything. Let's you "breathe" a little better than pants.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM

What about cropped-length cotton pants? Cooler than full-length pants, but a little dressier than capris.
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Yes, being from Texas, I like skirts in hot weather, too. But they look so bad with my comfy walking shoes. I'm ever on the search for a sexy strappy sandal that I can walk in for 14 hours without pain...
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Wear whatever you want. Remember, however, that the air conditioning in many places is turned to HIGH, and you may freeze if you are wearing too little when you go inside restaurants, stores, and theatres.

People dress differently in every neighborhood. The UES is dressy and classic; UWS is a relaxed preppy; Midtown is a mix of office dress and tourists; NYU area is Boho chic; Soho is trendy; Chelsea is gay-boy; LES is combat boots, piercings, and tats; Chinatown is tourists looking for fake Louis Vuitton.

Jun 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
TC

"a sexy strappy sandal that I can walk in for 14 hours without pain...

Missy..I know what you mean. Here's my best advice -- buy sandles a 1/2 size bigger than you need. That way when your feet swell a little from flying and shopping, your shoes won't rub a blister. I only take slides, so that I have plenty of room to expand.