Does this Boston long-term parking idea work?

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this Boston long-term parking idea work?

I will be driving to and staying in Boston for about 2 weeks. I plan on parking and leaving my car for the entire time. In trying to figure out where to park, I came upon the idea of parking it at a Logan Airport "park and shuttle" place such as Logan Park and Go, or even at the airport's own long-term lot. Then I would simply take the T into Boston to my hotel, and return to my car 2 weeks later.

I think someone mentioned that type of idea in an earlier post, but is that idea feasible? Is it OK to do that...to leave the car at an airport or "park and shuttle" lot, but not actually be using the airport to fly? They don't check for airline tickets or something like that? (Please excuse my naivity.)

It seems too easy, and is much cheaper than a parking garage in the city, so I figured there must be some catch....?
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM

You can certainly park at the airport or nearby. You should check the prices, because I think it will cost you about 90-`100 a week. There is also the hassle of going to and from the airport. They will not care if you are not flying because they make plenty of money on it.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM

It has been my experience that they do not check ticketing info...they just care if you have the money to pay them.

I don't recall the "park and shuttle" but if I'm not mistaken, its only about $15 a day for Economy Parking at the airport. When I lived in Boston, I used to pay around $25 a day for parking but some hotels have a lower rate for their guests. I'm not sure if the money you'd save from parking at the airport would be worth the inconvenience.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM

There's no reason you can't use the park and fly. the rates appear to be $95/week if you check their website:
http://www.parkshuttlefly.com/

I wonder, though, if it might be cheaper, and easier to use the parking lot at the route 128 commuter rail station? It's very easy to ride in on the train from there, and I think its easier to get to than the airport. According to the MBTA website, parking is $10/day:

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/
schedules_commuter_station.asp?
stat=Route+128
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM

No sure if overnight parking is allowed at that stop...you may want to check on that to be sure.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM

travelgirl, the MBTA web site put the rate at "Auto Rate: $3.00 for first 14 hrs; $10/day thereafter." The Route 128 station accommodates Amtrak trains as well as the commuter rail, and has a long-term parking section, which is probably not limited to ticketed Amtrak passengers!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Another option - same idea - is to park in one of the Massport Logan Express lots (Peabody, Woburn, Framingham, Braintree). They charge $66/week (see info on Massport.com). All have transportation to Logan - but some lots are also convenient to other transportation - Woburn is fairly close to commuter rail, for example.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM

you can definitely park long-term at the route 128 station, I have done so when taking the train to New York or DC.

I thought of suggesting the Logan Express lots. The Framingham one is a little distance from the commuter rail station, although you could probably get a taxi. but does anybody know if they are secure? the Framingham one is in the middle of a large mall parking lot, and is quite open. somehow, I feel more comfortable with a covered garage...but maybe thats silly paranoia on my part.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Don't know about security of Logan Express lots - somehow I think if car damage or cars exiting without rightful owner was a problem it would make the news, but maybe not. Lot in Woburn is huge, adjacent to a commuter lot. To exit one must prepay and insert ticket to get out of gate.

As far as a garage, we sometimes worry about leaving car in open lot in winter, but that has to do with snow and need to shovel it out upon return and not actually security. Car may be safer in a garage, but I get creeped out walking around in parking garages alone.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Great feedback, thanks! How secure are the commuter rail station lots like the Rte 128? Is it an open lot or covered garage?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM

ben, the commuter rail lot at 128 is a large covered garage with roving security guys. I've left my car there for 5 days or so and thought it was reasonably secure.

i definitely could be wrong about the Logan express lots. I just know the one in Framingham, which isn't a bad area or anything. I just wondered if those lots were staffed 24/7. they are probably just fine.

good luck, no matter what you choose, and have a nice visit in Boston!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:54 AM

I've used the Logan Express in Braintree, which is on the site of a defunct Drive-In theater. Their entire enterprise would be jeopardized if they couldn't maintain a decent reputation for the security of their long-term parking.