Disney World in 2 days with 2 preschoolers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a last minute opportunity to accompany my husband on a business trip to Tampa and want to go a few days early, take the short drive to Orlando, and visit the Mouse!

I am considering staying at the Radisson Worldgate Resort in Orlando. Any thoughts on this property? Other suggestions that are close by Magic Kingdom that are moderately priced? I've also considered the all movies resort as it looks like such fun for the little ones, though some reviewers claim it is a very dirty hotel...

Our children are ages 3 and 4 1/2. Our son is crazy about disney cars movie and our daughter is crazy about princesses. Any suggestions for must do experiences for us while we visit the Magic Kingdom. for example, in the quick research i have done i notice there is a parade with lightning mcqueen at mgm??? should we make a special trip for this and purchase a park hopper ticket. are there any opportunities to see the car up close? are there photo ops with the car?

any suggestions for dining with cinderella/princesses. seems reservations must be made months in advance? given the last minute nature of our trip, we do not have reservations... so, do we write this experience off until next time?

I really appreciate any words of wisdom you may have to offer. I visited disney every year as a child. though, this will be our first family trip with children in tow. i'm so excited though getting nervous.

thank you!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM

I would think about staying at a hotel inside Disneyworld for the convenience of being close by the hotel if the children need to relax. When my children were that age we went into the park as early as possible, went back after lunch to the hotel to swim or nap ,and then back into the park late in the afternoon until closing. Also, given that you have a very short time there, i would limit the visit to just the Magic Kingdom. Your children are young enough for many repeat visits to Disney in the years ahead. Don't try to do it all. Relax and enjoy the pixie dust.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:10 AM

The Coronado Springs is a Disney property that is great for families.
They also will provide a bus that will take you to and from Disney.
We have also liked the Hawthorn Suites and the Homewood Suites, which will allow you to have a seperate bedroom and a sofa sleeper in the living room.
They also have free breakfast and kitchen facilities.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:17 AM

I am sure you will receive all sorts of good suggestions about WDW. But have you considered revamping idea and going to Busch Gardens in Tampa instead? I understand the princess/Disney car thing, but at that age I think they would find equally enticing things at Busch Gardens and you would gain some time by not traveling to Orlando. Cost is less, hotels are close, and the animals are right there - not in a different Park.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:37 AM

I agree that there are things to do in Tampa as well, but the kids might not find as much at BGT as older kids would (though there are some nice childrens areas). MOSI is also a nice idea.

That said - I would say to stay on property. Either at a value - I've not heard any mention of the Movies being dirty, but I'd pick the Pop Century (fun!) or the All Star Music (rooms mostly newly refurbished) for a value, or Port Orleans Riverside or FQ for a moderate. That is, if they are available.

Also, there is the Swan and Dolphin, they sometimes have good rates. The Downtown Disney Hilton is also very nice, and the Extra Magic Hours are included when you stay there.

Check www.mousesavers.com - they mention special rates at a variety of hotels, including Donwtown Disney and offsite.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM

I've been researching our trip for Dec. and the princess meals are pretty popular. Call 407-W-DINE to see if you can get any reservation for them. As far as I know (and I only have boys, so I'm not 100%), there are meals at the Castle and meals at Norway in Epcot with Princesses. It never hurts to ask at guest services or at the restaurant itself in the morning. People change their plans all the time. But, in Mickey's Toontown at the Magic Kingdom, you can take a picture with the princesses, so at the very least, those are available.

Also, call 407-W-DISNEY to see about reservations on site hotels, if there is anything available, although I think this is peak season already. I've stayed several times at All-Star resorts and have never found them dirty and I do notice those things.

I find MGM the one with the least interesting things for kids except for character meetings. Animal Kingdom, at those ages, was more entertaining for my kids. However, if your son likes cars generally, my sons were enthralled by the Stunt show.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We were just at WDW in May. The"Unofficial Guide to WDW" is great for planning you trip and getting the most out of your time. With children that young, I would stick to the Magic Kingdom and if you have time, the Animal Kingdom or MGM. They changed the ticket pricing last year: the park hopper is an add on now, so if you want that option it is an extra $47/ adult ticket!! We passed on this and just did one park per day.

Good luck and have fun.

MY
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM

I agree with staying on-site. We stayed at Pop Century a few years ago & absolutely LOVED it! Our room was always clean & the gal who cleaned our room each day would make little hammocks in the window with the curtains to hold our son's stuffed animals. Very fun!

I'd stick to just the Magic Kingdom as well. It's so easy to overdo at WDW; take it easy on yourselves and just enjoy without trying to do too much!

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM

We were last there in February 2006. I would say with kids that age, definitely do the Magick Kingdom. To get to see Princesses up close – check out Toon Town – there is an autograph (definitely pick up autograph books for the kids) – when we were there last, there were 3 lines, one for Pooh & friends, one for Mickey & friends & one for Princesses. There was also Belle’s storytime in one of the alcoves by the castle that your little princess would love. Also check out the map guides to find out where other characters may be throughout the park. Also the princesses are usually in the various parades (and sometimes come into the street to dance) – check with one of the Disney employees along the parade route to see if that is happening and a good place to be positioned.

If your son is a fan of cars (with a small c) and not specifically Cars (with a big C) have him drive on the speedway (with mom or dad). My kids also enjoyed the Pooh ride, It’s a Small World,, the teacups (as logn as you don’t spin too fast), the Jungle Cruise, the Carousel,. Again there is plenty to do for little ones.

As to a second park, Animal Kingdom may have more stuff for the little ones, but the World portion of Epcot often has some of the Disney princesses like Mary Poppins, Mulan & Belle available for meet & greets in some of the countries. And Epcot has Test Track – our four year old was borderline on his enjoyment factor on it. And Living Seas has Talking Crush from Nemo – a big hit with my kids.

Checkout disboards.com for a wealth of information – probably even more current

Have fun!