Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone Recommend a Decent Hotel with Suites Somewhat Near Magic Kingdom?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I'll be traveling with my sister and her two children (5 & 8) for the proverbial weekend in Disney... and we're looking for a decent, reasonable hotel room suite (1 or 2 bdrm) that's within 10-15 mins drive of the Magic Kingdom. Looking to spend around $150 per night (more or less). I've looked on hotels.com and see a lot of junky-looking places. Definitely want a place we can get breakfast in the morning.

Good friends highly recommend Sheraton Vistana, but they're undergoing renovations plus their restaurant is closed.

So far saw Fairfield Inn & Suites and Doubletree Suites online... not sure... any input?

Thanks in advance!
Carol
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the Homewood Suites by Hilton on International Blvd. They have a great 2br suite.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM

The Doubletree Suites is a nice hotel; it's theoretically possible to walk to Downtown Disney from there, though probably not with a 5 year-old. I stayed there the last time I visited WDW. An overpriced breakfast buffet is served in the hotel, but it's definitely not free. However, my experiences with the bus from the hotels that are on Disney property but not owned by Disney were particularly negative.

You aren't, for example, taken directly to the Magic Kingdom as all other Disney hotel guests are; rather, you are taken to the transportation center and then have to board the monorail or boat for the trip (adding at least 30 minutes). Return schedules were not generally observed, and the buses were really crowded. They run only once an hour at most.

If I were you, I'd look at spending a little more (perhaps only $20 per night) and getting 2 rooms at a Value resort. All-Star Sports is the closest to the other parks, and I think you should at least take a look there. If you are driving to WDW, then you get to park for free at all the parks if you are staying at a WDW-owned hotel.

You'll be able to maximize your time and budget by staying at a Disney-owned hotel, particularly if it's a short visit.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies!

We'll have a car, so I wouldn't rely on transportation to get to the park.

I was thinking about doing 2 rooms at a less expensive place, but I was afraid that the cheaper Disney properties would be a complete zoo... loud, crowded and awful (We're going December 19-21). I've stayed at the All Star Sports in the past, and I remember check-in had these huge lines. Still the same?
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

One other question about All Stars... I just looked on the Disney website and they're quoting $139 per night for a room at All Star Sports -- is it only possible to get rooms at WDW hotels thru Disney?
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 01:03 PM

Other web site available to book. I just checked out this one...lots less. http://www.travelbystewards.com
Villas are sometimes available, too, close to the property. That would alleviate the crowded hotel room, plus have some extra amenitites.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 01:03 PM

Lots of places are filled already. Don't delay!
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM

I didn't realize that you were going during one of the busiest weekends of the year. That's why the All-Star resorts are so expensive .. it's peak season the weekend before Christmas, and all prices will be at their peak. The only way you can book a WDW-owned hotel is through Disney, but you can book the Swan and Dolphin through Expedia or some other source.

I'm still not a fan of staying off-property. Everything you save in the hotel is spent on parking and time.

Everything will probably be a zoo, however, so I doubt you can avoid that. An off-site villa might go a long way to compensating for the extra expense of staying off-site (i.e., parking charges of over $10 per day now, which you can make up for by having breakfast in). Your budget may be too low, however, for a villa.

I do agree with all the other posters that with a last-minute trip you may get what you get, so do book soon.

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and booked a suite at the Doubletree Suites (for about $113/night)... they look nice enough, and we'll use our car to drive in to avoid the transportation hassle Doug mentions from Doubletree.

Homewood Suites looked good, starrs, but wasn't available.

Doug, I agree about staying off-property in general, but since this is a last-minute trip, I'm sure it'll be fine this time. We're driving up from South Florida so I'm certain now that the kids are old enough, this will be the first of MANY trips Regarding being off-site eating up time, at least we're doing this one wisely... only hitting Magic Kingdom in 1 1/2 days (a few hours plus parade after we arrive on the first day, and a full day the 2nd day... until the kids fade). Given how easy and cheap it is for us to get to Orlando, I figure this was the way to go. We'd love to stay at a Disney property next time, but I'm sure that'll be off-peak when rates are lower, plus I think we get FL resident discounts at certain times.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
TC

Today's NY Times had ads for Disney hotels "pay for 4 nights, get 3 free + admission tickets". I think there are plenty of deals to be had in this economy.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Just reporting back on the Doubletree Suites... we thought it was great -- it was very nice, had everything we needed and inexpensive ($113 for a suite with two beds and pullout sofa). Yes, the breakfast buffet was totally overpriced ($15 for adults, $8 for children), but the room was very nice (microwave, mini fridge, 2 flat screen TVs, pull-out Queen sofa) and the hotel was convenient in that it had a small "grocery" store inside (snacks, milk & cereal, microwaveable food, etc.) and the restaurant was very kid-friendly. The staff was helpful and friendly. It was only about a 10 minute drive in to Magic Kingdom.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM

For Future people looking for information:
I just spent the weekend at Gaylord Palms for 150 a night (15 resort fee and 12 parking)(found on expedia... sometimes can find cheaper on Priceline) its right off 192 by old town definitely within the 10-15 min range of disney. I felt it was well worth it great resort. Don't forget to check out Ice (amazing) and Bring your bathing suit they have a great water zone!
There is also a ihop and a denny's around the corner! on your way to disney.

And Have a great time at Disney

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM

Since you have a car, you might consider renting a condo or small house.