Reload this Page >

Discount/Thrift Store/Second-hand Shopping in Philly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:00 PM
Katie

I am an avid bargin hunter. Any suggestions for discount, thrift stores, second-hand, resale or warehouse stores in relatively safe areas of Philly. I will be driving so getting around hopefully will not be a problem. Staying in Center City area. Looking for furniture, art, wallpaper, curtains, basically anything to furnish and decorate the home.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:19 PM
xxx

Katie, you could try Franklin Mills Mall. It has everything. It is a hugh discount mall. Alot of the stores are crappy, but it has some top of the line stores also. ie Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstroms. If you are a good shopper, you can get some really good buys there.

Then there is King of Prussia Mall. Great high end stores. Not discount, but sales are good. Have fun.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
lila

Many of the churches and hospitals have thrift shops, but many are closed in summer. If you drive down Lancaster Ave (US Route30 going west, you should find some good stores.You would need to keep going to at least Exton.Also there are lots of flea markets around Philly.
Happy hunting!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:18 AM
shoppy

Not sure if xxx misunderstood your question, but the advice seems off-base for the question.

Franklin Mills is your basic "outlet mall" that you can find in hundreds of other US cities. King of Prussia is a high-end mall that offers few bargains for the tightwad shopper.

The hospital thrift shops can be a good source, however.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:22 AM
jenn

There are a number of thrift stores on South Street and the Rittenhouse area. Your best bet is to look in the phone book for exact listings.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:57 AM
elmom

Katie,
Bambridge Street (1 blck south of South St) has great furniture/thrift stores from about 3-7th street. Also,Pine street (from 8-13) has lots of antique/resale stores. Franklin Mills mall is a PIT! a big, "outlet" mall like any other -- and when I went there I found prices to be exactly the same as retail. If you like thrift/used; Walk on Bambridge Street for fun! shoppin the

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
jane

Elmom, it's Bainbridge, not Bambridge. An out of towner might be confused trying to find the non-existent Bambridge Street.
Antique shops abound on Pine Street, but bargains are not common--the dealers like catering to high end customers.
There are some good shops in Old City and Northern Liberties. Look in the rough rectangle from Front Street to 5th street and from Market to Race.
If you see a thrift shop selling clothes, be sure to ask if they also sell things for the home--some do in their basement. If not the people who work/volunteer at these stores usually know what their counterparts are selling and can give you good advice.
Finally, I suggest you check the thrift shop in beautiful Chestnut Hill, on Germantown Ave near Gravers Lane (I forget the exact address). Some real bargains there. I bought a set of 8 cut wine glasses for only $20. There was (don't know if it's still there) another thrift shop up near Rex and Germantown avenues. And the many home decor stores in the area have great sales. Chestnut Hill is a great neigbhorhood to visit anyway, either by car or train (train is easier, but you'll need the car to take your bounty back with you). Don't forget to check the classifieds in the Chestnut Hill Local newspaper for ads about moving sales, garage sales, etc. I've found some high quality stuff and bargain basement prices, much better than the mass produced outlet mall dreck.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
phillyfriend

I think the best bets are the flea markets. A lot of the stalls are new merchandise from manufacturers. Some real, some fake. My Favorite is Rice's near Peddlars Village -New Hope area on Tues. morning. But, I have found some buys at the market at Philadelphia Park Race Track on Friday mornings. Never been to Columbia over the bridge in NJ. Any one been there-what day is their market?