Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rental car in Kauai - convertible or full size???

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Iza

We will be spending 2 weeks on Kauai in August. A while ago I reserved a full size car with Budget thinking that with 4 of us we'll need the space. I got a rate of $508 for 14 days (incl. tax).
Now, I have been looking around where we live and see people in convertibles looking so cool! So I looked around and found a convertible at Alamo for $512 for the same time period.
My question is whether a convertible will be big enough for 4 people - the people sitting at the back would be our 9 year old daughter and our 21 year old niece (who is on a tall side)? What about convenience and luggage space? Are the convertibles generally 2 door or 4 door?
Any thoughts whether a convertible is a possibility for us or will we be totally uncomfortable for 2 weeks.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Sarah

Hi Iza I have sleepless nights over this very same dilemma . I have been checking out the back seats of convertibles since I made my full size booking at $595 (tried and tried to get your price). It looks pretty tight in the back seat of most convertibles that even have a back seat. You are also loosing trunk space with this option.

I think a convertible is best when you are driving with trees over your head unless you are four wheel driving it I don't know where you can do this on Kauai. There is one road near poipu called the tree of tunnels it looks like tree-lined roads you see in Europe. It is manmade. I think the road to Hana on Maui is the place to have a convertible.

On Kauai you are just going to get very sunburned. I think you will especially welcome the relief from the sun (that a hard top provides) in August on the South Shore. I would get a minivan with your group before I got a convertible. You just have bigger windows and the elevations of minivans provides great views. Back seats can get pretty grotty at the end of one week I imagine worse after two.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Suzie

We got a convertible in Sept on Kauai and we loved it. No sunburns though, we put the sunscreen on before we left. Our trunk space was small and the back seat has little leg room but if the front seat passenger or driver move the seat up you may not have a problem. Ours was a 2 door mustang. Do not recall seeing any 4 doors. You might want to check out the ford dealer near you to test the space for yourself. We're getting a convertible when we go to Maui in the fall. We'll have 2 back seat passengers with us who are 5'1" and under so we're not too concerned.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Iza

One more question: is it possible to reserve a non-smoking car? I did not see that option anywhere when I was making our reservations.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Suzie

Iza, if you reserved on-line at the budget website go down to the optional equipment and there is a box for no smoking.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:05 AM
sss

Call Budget and Ask. It can be an issue in Hawaii because the Japanese are big smokers and they are the largest visitor group. We got a smoke filled van last year. They had one other van but the people after us got stuck with the smoking car.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:06 AM
kal

Aloooohaaaa,
No 'bout a doubt it...convertible!
Plus a bucket of SPF 30+ !!!
I believe all rental cars are suppoosed to be non-smoking now but....

If you get a convert and it doesn't rain all the time, shouldn't be a prob.

Mucho mahalos,
Kal

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:09 AM
kal

Durn! I can't believe I missed the chance to make a joke about a "smoking car"!

"NapaVal hang over" still?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:25 AM
XXX

I just got back from my honeymoon to Kauai, and we rented a convertible from Alamo. A few warnings: We couldn't fit one of our suitcases in the trunk, so that went on the back seat (which wouldn't work with 4 people!). Also, Kauai is a rainy island -- we didn't take a single drive outside Poipu that didn't include a brief shower. (You are well rewarded with rainbows though!) Another significant comment: The line at Alamo was super-super long. It took over an hour to get the car from when we arrived at the rental office! It was inexpensive, but in the end, we didn't feel it was worth it!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:29 AM
ddd

XXX tell us more about the weather. I know El Nino is making things cloudy seems like non-stop in Hanalei was the same around PoiPu. It is unusual in summer to have regular scattered showers.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:36 AM
xxx

I am certainly no weather expert, I can just speak about my experience. We stayed at the Hyatt from July 6 - July 9. There was a brief shower while we drove both to and from the airport, and to and from our boat tour (Liko Kauai leaves from Waimea). I have no idea if this was typical or out of the ordinary. It certainly didn't bother us much, just thought I should mention it while you are debating which type of car to get.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Iza

Thanks for all the responses. I guess, if we have enough time this weekend, we'll check a smaller size convertible at a dealer - Mustang/Camaro seem to be the most popular rentals, right?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:49 PM
xxx

We tried a mustang convertible with 4 people and regretted it. Four small (20 inch) suitcases barely fit. And the two people in the back were always cramped.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:53 PM
xxx

The convertable we got from Alamo on Kauai was a Firebird.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:36 AM
cccc

A convertible looks cool but with 4 people it will be jammed. I have seen soooo many people at Lihue airport trying to fit in their luggage, usually someone is riding withsuitcases on their lap! (Tip: bring bungee cords!)

It rains every day somewhere on Kauai, keep that in mind.

Also, the back seats are kind of low in a convertible, it may be hard to a little kid to see out the car.

I always go for the big, roomy SUV or van.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:01 AM
shandra

We have had both Mustang and Camaro convertibles on our trips. We love the open top because it allows you to see so much more of the beautiful scenery. If you hit a rain shower or get too crispy from the sun, just put the top up. They are automatic. On the down side, two people is pretty much the max especially with luggage. The trunks are small.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:19 PM
mbln74a

Hi, I lived in Kona awhile, did lots of travel to/from airport...and waiting for visitors. At the airport our favorite pasttime was watching 4 people try to load their luggage & selves into a small convertible..it never failed, something was left behind, or people were sitting on their bags in the back seat. I'm not saying don't get a convertible, but if you do, please pack very light. Have a great time.
Aloha, Linda

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:25 AM
Iza

Thanks all for your input. I think we'll stick to our original choice which was full size. I don't want my niece sitting with her knees hitting her chin for two weeks ;-)
And with the four of us going for 2 weeks, there is no way we will have very little luggage - I know we will have at least 4 pieces of luggage.
So I will cancel the reservation for the convertible so that more of you lucky couples can enjoy! By the way I thought the rate I got from Alamo was very reasonable.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:36 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:56 PM
jeep

Does anyone know if the jeep wranglers that you can rent have lockable storage space behind the rear seat, and if so, how big (can I lock a daypack up?)