Search

Sarasota shopping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sarasota shopping

We will be in the Sarasota area soon and I would like to know where the best shopping areas are. Any outlet malls?
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 04:39 AM

St. Armand's Circle has the "fashionable" shops. Southgate is a small, okay mall. There is a outlet mall about 10 miles north of Sarasta on I-75, but it is like every other outlet mall in America. I like to spend time downtown, mainly for cafes, not shops.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Cassandra

There are also some other "standard" malls, including one slightly more upscale that has a Saks Fifth. But for discount shopping, it's more a matter of time of year than location. The official season ends more or less at Easter, but by the end of April into May, the prices have come down considerably. You can also get some bargains in beautiful October, before the season begins, when they are trying to churn inventory. The Ellenton outlet mall is like any other, which is to say, you may not be getting a bargain compared to what the regular department store sales will offer.

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:32 AM
OliveOyl

Re Ellenton, and really all outlet malls, I not only wonder how much of a bargain they are compared to store sales, but also if it's even the same product. Maybe it's just me, but there aren't too many pieces in the DKNY line, for instance, that I don't like in retail stores, but I could search all day in one of their outlet stores and come up empty-handed, and I've bought Coach products in the outlet that I've never seen in a regular Coach retail store. Same with the Natori line of sleepwear (also in the Ellenton outlet).

I do enjoy shopping around St Armands, (although my favorite store has moved on) and at least can find some unique items, things you aren't going to find in every other mall in the US. For really fine shopping though...head a bit further south to Naples. I've even done it as a day trip from Tampa once when I was really in a bind for a dress, and knew where I could probably get just what I was looking for...and did...in Naples. Bless my H's heart for putting up with me and driving me down--he is such a sweetie!! It's about as far from outlet shopping as you can get, but what a joy it is!! We made it a nice day...found the dress (1st place, 1st dress, but I knew the shop to head to) had lunch in the patio at Campiello then drove around and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery along the Gulf before heading back on home. That may be more power shopping than you had in mind though--it is a full day and you can have plenty of fun in St Armands without the drive.

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:15 PM

vanhayhurst,
I don't know what shopping you have where you live. If you do not have a Ross store where you live, you might want to try out the shopping center on US 41 and Clark Rd. They have Ross, Steinmart and a couple other discount stores. Have Fun.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Olive, was your favorite shop on St. Armand's the Dream Weaver. I think their clothes are just divine. A word I seldom, if ever use about clothing. Exceptionally expensive but for handmade and handwoven and painted fabrics, worth it if you have it. Please tell me it is still there.

I also used to drive up to go to my old Northern Michigan favorite Mettlers. They went bankrupt and closed all shops, one of the family members had many problems. LMF
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM
OliveOyl

No, not Dream Weaver...that's one I haven't been in though, so thank you LMF. I was thinking "uh oh...now that I have to recall the name I won't be able to, but M something"...then you said it...Mettlers. It was a terrific store, and filled a gap before we started getting Saks, Neimans etc here. I was so sorry to see them go.

Now I've got to go see Dream Weaver!