Dining at Hilton Hawaiian Village

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many restaurant choices at HHV, and we will only be staying there for 2 days. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:49 PM

Golden Dragon if you like Chinese. Unlike many chinese restaraunts, this one is elegant and romantic. Service is sometimes spotty, but the food is great.
I used to love Bali by the Sea but for some reason haven't been there in a long time. Not sure if it is still as nice. Anyone else been recently??

A nice place nearby, but not in HHV, is the Thai restaraunt across the street...Under Todai, and across from the Wailana Coffee shop. I'm drawing a blank on the name at the moment, but the food is great.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:53 PM

lcuy, is it Siam Orchid?

I also liked Bali By The Sea but it has been yeeeeaaaars since I was last there. Golden Dragon is expensive for Chinese food but they do have some very nice, unique dishes. mmm....it's dinnertime, I'm starting to get hungry!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:09 PM
bonniebroad

I think Golden Dragon is a gorgeous restaurant, but I found the food to be just okay, and expensive for what it is. My husband enjoyed Benihana's of Tokyo there..........

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:57 PM

Bali by the Sea is still exceptional...from the food, to the wine list, to the service.

Sergio's -- the venerable Italian restaurant -- just relocated to HHV (across the driveway from the lobby), and that's been a special island favorite for nearly 20 years.

Rainbow Lanai has ocean views and a diverse, reasonably-priced (for Waikiki, anyway!) menu.

I haven't been to that particular Benihana, but have heard it's the highest priced one in the nationwide chain.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:25 AM

We found Benihana's to be enjoyable and better than we expected. We went almost as a goof, but wound up enjoying the food and the hokey tepanyaki show. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but so are most things at the HHV.

If you don't mind walking a few blocks from the hotel, Keo's in Waikiki was a very good Thai restaurant. Our relatives who live in Hawaii were the one's who suggested it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:17 AM

Nearly everything is expensive there - I'd travel off site and try something like Duke's at the Outrigger on the Beach. It was reasonable and delicious! We did grab breakfast or a sandwich at The Tropics by the big pool.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM

Hi, we just got back from HHV over spring break with 2 teens. we ate at the Rainbow lanai alot, nice variety (convenient) again pricey. it depends if your looking for breakfast, lunch, dinner and what type of food. we ate at benihana and for 4 it came to $160.00 kind of a waste, my daughter didnt eat much. there is a deli, italian, american, etc. a lot of choices but can be pricey...nice place, have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:18 PM

Also if you are there on a weekend, don't forget to check out Olomana.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Yes!!

And for those who don't know who/what it is that Melissa and I are recommending, Olomana is a group of musicians (Jerry Santos, Haunani Apoliona, Wally Suenaga, and Willy Paikuli) who play beautiful Hawaiian music (both traditional and contemporary) in the Paradise Lounge (beach side of the Rainbow Tower; between Bali Hai and Golden Dragon restaurants).

Friday nights it's usually Jerry and friends -- always good musicians, but you just never know who will show up! Saturday nights -- if you're lucky -- you'll get the full Olomana quartet. No minimum; no cover; valet parking is free with validation from the bar.

This is where you'll always find me on any Friday night I'm on O`ahu!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:05 PM

I hate to add, I also might skip a number of the Hilton options unless you really don't want to budge from hotel. Not bad to eat inside the hotel at all. Just so many options beyond Waikiki.

....lcuy, Melissa help me out here, What restaurant does Olomana play at outside the hotel??? They can give you the name. Is it Thai something or is the food Thai?? I would like to eat there.

Funny, I just read Melissa's response. Yeah don't miss Olomana on sight either. I was just thinking about them today Melissa. I was listening to Hapa's version of Kahalu'u. ...Sigh, can't make it back this year, well not by summer's end anyway. Will be doing the annual luau in central park this weekend, rain or shine. Did have lau lau, Kailua Pork, Lomi salmon, Haupia and Lapperts in SF this past weekend .

Dim Sum, you want Seafood Kingdom in china town.

Everybody is giving you other options because there are many award winning restaurants in Hawaii and Oahu in particular. A lot of chefs might make a name abroad but then come and live the dream in Hawaii. That is how I see it anyway. If you subscribe to Gourmet or Bonappetite you quickly pick this up. So if you are a foodie you really do want to look outside the confinds of the Hilton. The concierge at the Hilton is great too they won't just stear you to Hilton restaurants. I can remember inquiring about bon dances in the area and someone came back thanking the concierge for the recommendation of 3666 on the rise. Another idea by the way.

Alan Wong's still a heavy hitter guys?

Sam Choy's is fun too (I am told) and you will always remember your dinner when you see him on the food network.

I also like the breakfast buffet at the Royal Hawaiian, so darn pink and I don't think anyone brings you closer to the water for breakfast.

Roy's never disappoints me. But again there is always a new Shinning star on the Honolulu food scene so go online, get a zagats, ask here.

hmmm I seem to remember www.alohachefs.com menus with pictures!!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM

Auntie Marie is not going to advertise for herself but www.mele.com is a good site for cd's videos, Hawaiian concerts too. I actually send people there who are looking forward to a trip just to buy a video to get excited.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:29 PM

http://www.chaisislandbistro.com/ is the site for the off HHV sight Olomana concerts. Robert Cazimero is someone that also plays here and would be a pleasure to listen to at dinner.

Actually, I am looking at the list of entertainers. I took someone to see Napalapali here in NYC, they had no reference for Hawaiian music at all and they loved them. They are high pitched falsetto singers and Hoku (Hawaii's highest music award) award winners. I discovered them when they joined in a Olomana concert at the Hilton.

Jake Shimabukuro has also played here in NYC, you heard me mention I had a Hapa CD (have seen them also in NYC), so from the looks of things you can't go wrong at Chai's bistro.

Again I am not back this summer. SIGH!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:29 PM

Hatsuhana for sushi and Sergio's for Italian are both very good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM

Aah, Na Palapalai is going to be BIG--that's what the radio stations here are predicting. I have their latest CD, autographed. I wonder how much I can get for it on eBay?

Chai's is great on special occasions like Father's Day, Mother's Day, etc. when they have a brunch buffet and dinner buffet (reservations required). I believe Jerry Santos plays at the dinner buffet. Wonderful!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful suggestions!