Desert Pearl or Majestic View Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am booking a second honeymoon trip for September and trying to decide between the Desert Pearl and Majestic View Lodge.
Majestic just opened and I have not read any postings on it.

I checked out the website and like the fact that the Majestic has a restaurant on premises for breakfast where Desert Pearl does not. I also like the look of both the suite and regular room at the Magistic, but am concerned that it may be too busy with the museum and bus pick-up for the park there.

Also not sure exactly where each is located to see which will have the best views from the rooms.

Has anyone stayed or stopped at either place, and if so what do your recommend?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM

We stayed at the Desert Pearl and LOVED it. One of my very fave hotels. The good thing about DP is that they have a fridge and a microwave and coffeemaker...we bought donuts and bagels and juice and had a fine b/fast. Saw the Majestic and it looked nice, did not go in. Judy
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 10:03 PM

We're visiting Zion NP in mid Dec last yr. We passed by Majestic Lodge. It is situated a little further away from the entrance of the park and it's on an elevated level. It does have a grand view of the mountains.

We stayed at Flanigan's Inn and we enjoyed our stay very much. The suites there were very comfortable. We had 14 people in our group and we booked 3 suites to accomodate us. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

While we're there, their restaurant,
The Spotted Dog Caf & Pub, was closed during the winter. Read a lot of rave reviews about the food there but didn't get a chance to try it for myself, maybe the next trip.

You can check out the place in their website for more info.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:09 PM

My family and I stayed at the Desert Pearl last August on a trip from the UK. We had a great time there - rooms were clean, stylish and well equipped, staff were friendly and helpful (as were all people we met in this part of the world!) Don't worry about breakfast in the DP - we ate at Flannigans every morning, beautiful views and nice food!

Cannot comment on the Majestic, just wanted to share a great vacation experience!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:36 PM

We stayed at the Desert Pearl last fall and had a second floor room overlooking the small river (really a creek) and superb views of the mountains. The room was incredibly well thought out with a huge bathroom area...two double or queen beds, sofa, table/chairs, small sink, micro/fridge. There was a balcony with two adirondack style chairs overlooking the creek/mountains. We walked to Flannigan's for breakfast on the patio surrounded by more fantastic views. Couldn't ask for anything better.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Original Post was in January when travel to the area was slower. I do see alot of comments on this board about Desert Pearl. Can anyone give me a first hand view of the Magestic or check it out on your visit to Zion and post?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM

I'm a HUGE fan of the Desert Pearl (making our 4th trip there this year), so I will only comment on the comparative locations of the two places. By mapquesting the address of the Majestic View, it looks like it's a couple of miles out of Springdale, away from the park entrance, while the Desert Pearl is right there in town and walking distance to everything, plus the Virgin River runs right thru your backyard. The views from the riverview rooms are gorgeous. Springdale is very charming, very small, and a nice spot to be in the middle of, the red canyon walls loom over the town. The DP has a shuttle pick up a minute's walk up the road, but it looks from their website like the MV has a shuttle stop there too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM

The Desert Pearl is really really wonderful. Both hotels are on the main road into the Park, and I was afraid of street noise, but the Desert Pearl does a good job of blocking the noise. We enjoyed walking around in the evening and given the location, the stuff in walking distance from the DP is better. We didn't go in the Majestic, just saw it, when we were there, and my opinion was that from the outside, it just didn't look as quaint/cool.

Like another poster, we bought milk and cereal and just ate breakfast at the DP. We sat out on the chairs outside our room and watched the sunrise over the pool. THough not as nice as the sunset (which we watched from the lawn behind our room) it was still a fabulous way to start the day.

I have pictures of the room at DP if you'd like to see them.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Eva

Stayed at the DP last year and absolutely LOVED it. There was a little place to get coffees and I think scones or muffins in the gift shop at DP, and as others have mentioned Flanigans is right up the road.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

I have to cast my vote for one of my all time favorite places to have ever stayed: DESERT PEARL! The room was fabulous with a huge bathroom...GREAT BED..Simple, but elegant. We loved the landscaped pool and hot tub area at the end of long day of hiking in the park. The end to a perfect day was spent sitting out on the private patio into the late night...
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the postings.

From what I am reading, DP is by far the favorite and highly recommended by all of you. Gigib posted that according to mapquest DP is both closer to the park and within walking distance of "everything" That also is a big plus.

It's been several year sice we have been there. Does "town" still consist of the one main street that leads to the park?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:33 PM

I have stayed at the Majestic View Lodge and I would highly recommend it. The fact that the accomodations are on the outskirts of town adds to its flavor. The property is on a rise that allows the views to be over the treetops and you never even see the rest of the town. It appears that you are secluded from the hustle and bustle of shops and other visitors. The free town shuttle (runs during the summer months)turns around across the street from the main lodging and you never even know it is there except for when you want to use it. There is a terrific restaurant on the premises and an extraordinary free wildlife museum. There is also a pool with a jacuzzi. Every room has a balcony that overlooks the canyon. You really need to go to www.majesticviewlodge.com to see the property. I guarantee you will not be disappointed in the Lodge! Trip Advisor has more reviews.
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:59 AM

My daughter and I recently stayed four nights at the Majestic View and absolutely loved it. The rooms are big, the beds were so soft and comfortable. It is located just beyond the rest of the town but still only two miles from the park entrance. Was fairly quiet but you do hear the traffic from the cars and motorcycles going by on the road. I'm sure it is like this at all the motels, lodges, because they are all on the main drag. We slept every night with the door open because the weather was so nice and felt very safe. Every room has a balcony which was very nice too. The furniture was beautiful, and even the bathroom fixtures and sink and tub were not the usual cheap hotel stuff but very expensive and fancy looking! (I'm a sucker for a fabulous bathroom). They also give you Herbal Essence products and the biggest, fluffiest bath towels and wash cloths. Just want to say that you can't go wrong staying here and the price was awesome for what you get.