Day trips from Seattle area

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Seattle area

Hi all -

I am a Seattle native looking for some new and interesting day trip locations. We seem to always make the same trips over and over again and we're in a rut!

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
How about a Discover Hidden Renton tour? Let us know what you think.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Here is a little trip of which we never tire: Seattle to Sultan mostly on rural roads with lunch at a wonderful family-fun Mexican restaurant.

 Take Highway 520 to Novelty Hill Road (NHR).
 Take NHR to West Snoqualmie River Road NE (WSRR)
 Take WSRR to the Bridge that crosses the Snohomish River (you will go through two stop lights).
 Turn right at the bridge and follow the road to 203.
 Take 203 about a mile to Ben Howard Road (on the right just before the bridge)
 Follow this beautiful road to Sultan.

Ixtapa restaurant is in the little strip mall straight ahead. My favorite item on the lunch menu is the Ixtapa burrito, but everything is good here and your waiter is a relative of the chef/owner.

This trip takes one hour from Capitol Hill, and it is delightful going and coming.

In the fall we do the Stevens Pass, Blewett Pass, Snoqualmie Pass circle in one day with lunch in Leavenworth.

Sometimes we go to Leavenworth via Stevens Pass, have lunch, and return the same way.

We like the drive to Mt. Baker (Artists' Point) via Highway 9--starting at Arlington. We sometimes stay overnight in Bellingham.

Ocean Shores is doable in a day. Stop in Olympia for lunch at Budd Bay Cafe or Anthony's.

The drive to Port Townsend via Tacoma takes about 2 1/2 hours. Have lunch on the deck of the Belmont, 925 Water Street.

We like to drive to Yakima, stay at Oxford Inn on the Yakima River, have dinner at New Thai Restaurant (4808 Tieton Dr), get up early and go to Sunrise via Chinook Pass (to beat the crowds). Return home.

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch for the replies! I feel a road trip coming up this weekend!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Tyr,

A day trip I love is to Twin Falls just off of exit 34 of I 90 at Olallie State Park.

If you go to Stevens Pass, make sure to stop off at Deception Falls--7 miles west right off of highway 2--it's awesome (and directly at the exit).

Also, Index is a delightful town to walk around--lots of trails and swimming areas by the river as well as the Index Town Wall--a 400 foot climbing wall (if you're in to that).

notherjimshep,
any recommendations for restaurants in the Mt. Baker area?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Artlover, There are two places in Glacier--Milano's Market (which was hectic the last time I was there) and Seven Loaves (at which I've never eaten). We usually wait for dinner in Bellingham at Anthony's or D'Anna's Cafe Italiano (a store front place with an old-fashioned menu of the type that's hard to find in Seattle).

Thats for the Twin Falls idea.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:11 PM

jimshep,

Thanks for the names of places in Glacier--Seven Loaves isn't even in my guide book.

When you go to Twin Falls, make sure you go down the lower trail as well as the upper trail. We almost didn't and would have missed an awesome view (though the view from the upper trail is great as well).

Who knows, maybe we'll run into you there--we'll be the couple with the German shepherd with the floppy ear!

Happy hiking!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Have you been to Leavenworth, Wa.? We just drove there from Seattle last week. The drive was 2 1/2 hours each way. Scenery was beautiful, and Leavenworth was so unique, a really cool Bavarian town with so many neat shops. We went white-water rafting and kayaking on the Wenatchee. Because the water level was low, we got to do both for one price, and had an absolute blast! Sausage Fest was going on, and I wish we'd had time to spend another day, but it should be a perfect day trip from Seattle.

Donna
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Right now there is a big fire just outside of Leavenworth...in the Icicle drainage area. But when it is out that is a great area for a day trip...so much to do as far as outdoorsy stuff.

Donna--I'm glad you enjoyed the area! I really miss it
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:53 PM

While commuting between Seattle and Vancouver this week, our train passed through White Rock, BC in Canada. It looked like a nice place for a day trip -- lots of interesting-looking shops and a fishing beach. I wanted to tell the train to stop! I'll bet you've already been there.

Donna