Reload this Page >

Seattle - Nearby outdoor activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Regina

I will be going to Seattle for 6 days and would like to spend at least one venturing outside of the city. I have already been to Snowqualmie and to the San Juan islands. Any suggestions? I will be there over Memorial Day weekend so I am looking for something a little off the beaten path.

Thanks.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
Wendy

You could take a day trip to Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens if the weather is nice. They both have picnic, hiking and wonderful views.

Or you could spend a day in Leavenworth which is a little German village up by Stevens Pass.

Or even closer to home would be to spend the day out in Woodinville exploring the wineries, brewery and new spa!

Enjoy your stay in Seattle.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
John

Unfortunately, there's very little "off the beaten path" at Memorial Day weekend, but here are a couple of suggestions:

Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park, just outside Port Angeles. There are good hiking trails from the parking lot, chance of seeing critters, and the view is breathtaking.

A civilized version of the "Cascade Loop" - over Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) to central Washington, return via Stevens Pass (US2). A longer version of this is over US2 and back via SR20 through North Cascades National Park. On the east side of the mountains the scenery is very different - beautiful, in fact, very much old west compared with the green west side.

Also over Snoqualmie Pass, you can do a day trip (overnight better) to the Yakima Valley for winery tours. It will almost certainly be warmer than Seattle.

And there's always ye olde Victoria BC by passenger ferry or (better IMO but more expensive) floatplane from Lake Union.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:40 AM
WandaLust

Hi Regina,
It was 7 years ago in May, but a perfect memory: I went on beautiful misty hikes through Olympic (Hurricane Ridge, yes!), watched a great sunset @ Port Angeles, then had a fabulous crab legs dinner (casual) in Dungeness. I think it was called 3 Crabs Restaurant, on the beach there? Locals will advise! Have fun!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:13 AM
a

A couple of suggestions: 1. Hike to the tip of the Carbon River Glacier (near the north entrance of Mt. Rainier N.P.) The trail head is relatively close to Seattle (closer than Hurricane Ridge) and one of the few glaciers the recreational walker can easily hike to so early in the season. 2. Walk the trails in the Nisqually Delta about one hour south of Seattle. The trail is easy and there is a lot to see in this beautiful river delta environment. 3. Drive/walk the road/trail along the Dosewallips River on the eastern edge of Olympic National Park. Again, the drive is not so far. The features include rushing river, big trees covered with moss, and mountain views. 4. On Whidbey Island, just west of the town of Coupeville and just north of Fort Casey is a beautiful walk along a bluff overlooking the water and Olympic Mountains in the distance. (If your timing requires travelling on a ferry at the beginning or end of the Memorial Day weekend then you might want to choose another alternative.)

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:48 PM
jj

Regina: It's somewhat out of town, but we had a nice time at Tillicum Village last month, which is on Blake Island just west of Seattle. You get lunch with salmon cooked over alderwood coals, and members of area Indian tribes demonstrate the various dances that celebrate the harvest, etc. Nice scenery and a learning experience.