Crazy question but: does it snow in St Louis?

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy question but: does it snow in St Louis?

Hi everyone,
I might have to move from New York City to St Louis (yikes)- just wondering (among other things): does it snow in St Louis?
Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:32 AM

It does! We lived there from 1992-1994 and it snowed mountains both winters. Perhaps it just seemed like a lot of snow, as we moved there from NYC where we hadn't gotten much snow for years.

Very hot in the summer, very cold and snowy in the winter, both extremes. And we lived there during the '93 floods, so all of our "climate experiences" in St. Louis were X-treme!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Wait! You, too, moved from NYC to St Louis? Could I ask: how do you compare the two cities, generally- plusses and minuses? As you can see, tiny bit of reluctance on my part. Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM

Hmmmm..and we thought all you New Yorkers were tough LOL.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Tough and spoiled, I'm afraid!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM

the last couple of years we have had very little snow - my kids have not had a "snow day" in years.

What little we did get - melted right away. The winter before last was so mild that I never took out my heavy coat.

I have several very good friends who are from NYC who live here - most all have been here 10+ years - they are happy and have not run back yet??? LOL

Let us know if you have any other specific questions!! Good Luck!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:17 AM

beneteau, I don't think you want to hear about my experiences. I grieved for NYC so that I really could not even enjoy St. Louis. By the time I was really ready to embrace St. Louis, which is really a very nice place to live, we were ready to leave for Florida.

My chief complaint about St. Louis was the driving---you had to drive. I was used to shepherding my three kids around NYC. The time spent strapping the baby in car seats seemed to fill a vast warehouse that also contained all the time I spent driving to the grocery store, carrying groceries inside my house, having to deal with a yard, etc. The house was bigger than our 3 bed. 2 bath apartment in NYC, and I just couldn't keep it tidy. The laundry chute spanned three floors (laundry in the basement) and when the weather was damp, the clothing solidified into a sort of square tower that pulled out of the trap door at bottom all in a piece.

We were attacked by millipedes in our kids' playroom. Our basement flooded from all the rain.

We did join a wonderful church in Clayton, St. Michael and St. George. We actually lived in Ladue, and our kids went to Conway Elementary School, and to Community School camp in summer. The church, school, and Junior League literally saved me, but I was on anti-depressants practically the whole time we lived there. I used to watch Seinfeld episodes as though they were some sort of religious show! (This was back in the days before we got rid of tv in our house for good.)

I offered to work for, and vote for, a woman running for mayor of Ladue if she would agree to put Prozac in the water supply. It rained so much there was very little sunshine for months on end while we were there.

The people are wonderful, and it's probably a little different now. When we moved there people were only interested in where you went to high school, so you could be sorted into the correct social circle. Pick your new home carefully... it's not just a house, it is an entire life.

There are many St.L posters on this board who should be able to give you very good advice. Annesherod is one whose advice will be invaluable. Start a new thread, "Moving to St. Louis" or something like, and don't let my experiences (self-inflicted) scare you.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM

does it snow in STL?
it can be very cold and does indeed snow.
the summers in STL are what can be brutal. it is like living in a sauna - and when you breath the hot air scorches your lungs!
however, they have the BEST baseball team in the world IMHO!
and the best fans in the world.
i say that not as a cardinal fan (i 'm a padres fan.) so i am not biased.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM
JJ5

Absolutely second the baseball town comment, and I'm not a Cards fan either.

As in any larger distance, geographic expanse city, it is actually much harder physically, IMHO, than is living in the close quarters cities of the East. Driving, yes, but also walking, like their zoo, schools etc.- much, much more, IMHO.

For another view, a fiction one, of some of the differences, nuances, perceptions of fashion and living standards and oh much more- a woman who moves from NYC to an area quite like St. Louis for her job (called Prairie City in the book)- "The Quality of Life Report" by Meghan Daum.

St. Louis has blossomed to more complexity since 2000, and their winters are a cypher compared to Chicago. My son who was close to that area for 2 years, never wore a winter coat.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Your responses are all *incredibly* helpful. Now you've made me wonder: what do St. Louis dwellers do for fun?? (other than baseball and beer...)
B
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM

beneteau, I never once went to a baseball game and I don't drink beer. There are lots of cultural things going on in St. Louis, esp. if you live in the Central West End. It's not New York, but it's really not the end of the world, either. I found that out too late.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:52 AM

Are you looking for locations WITH or WITHOUT snow? Snow in NYC is disgusting, especially when it melts and there a huge lakes in every gutter that require leaping over. I'm a transplanted NYer living in STL for many years. Moved here to attend WashU and never moved back.

Yes, we have snow. Yes, it can be huge amounts (Jan 82, huge blizzard, 16" I think) and sometimes we don't have any snow. We did have one snow day last year (Anne, Clayton may have been off that day, Ladue already had a half day scheduled, so it wasn't too big a deal to cancel). We had an ice storm the night we moved into this house in Jan. '99 and we had an ice storm last winter that cause our power to be out for 5 days. It was 105* last week and it was 80* yesterday and it's supposed to go back up to 96* today. Weather is variable anywhere.

kswl, sorry you had a difficult transition to St. Louis when you lived here, I have read some of your comments before and though I agree with many of the problems of trying to break into Ladue society, I chose to deal with it by not dealing with it...I just don't care!

So, beneteau, are you really moving here? And, if so, what real questions would you like answered? We will all certainly try ot help, but I'm sure you know that there is very little comparable between a midwestern city an NYC. If you're terribly attached to NY, you, like kswl, may have trouble adjusting.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

LOL- thanks. Good to know there is life outside of baseball out there! I know nothing about the midwest, seriously. I've lived in other places than NYC, but, other than Washington DC, they were outside the country- which is why it's hard to get my head around someplace like St. Louis- thanks again for all of your info! While a collaborative decision of course, the move to STL would be driven by my husband's job- so I'll need to revert as things progress. But I'd love to take you up on your offers to answer questions at that stage! Thanks so much.
ps- I really like snow, actually!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM
JJ5

Read that book.

I'd not be at all adverse to moving there, and love the community vibe. There's real civic pride, as there is in Chicago. There are few nay-sayers against St. Louis IN St. Louis, for good reasons.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM

Nothing is going to compare to New York. When I go to St. Louis, I miss the "buzz" of larger cities (I live in DC). That said, St. Louis has sophistication if you are open to it. It is also incredibly cheap, so you will have more money to get away if you find yourself miserable.

St. Louis has a sophisticated art scene, including two top-notch contemporary art galleries. There is also a world-class orchestra and one of the best "modern" opera companies in the country.

There are great restaurants, beautiful parks (including Forest Park, which can will remind you of Central Park), beautiful homes at a 1/4 of the price of NYC.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:04 AM

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing now?

Do you have children? That might dictate where you choose to live?

I travel a lot for work and pleasure and STL has some fabulous restaurants to choose from.
Like I said, one of my friends is a nationally known artist and has acclimated just fine! Another was a model in NYC and she is happy here. Another is a graphic artist and is very active in many organizations, the Ballet , the symphony, the zoo etc...
She takes an apt in NYC once a year for her "fix" though.
Do you think you want suburban or city living?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM

Benetau - Just curious what other thoughts oor questions you might have!!