Snow's not a problem

Dec 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Snow's not a problem

For anyone planning on visiting NYC, snow - unless it's a blizzard - is not a problem. We got about 11 inches overnight (more than 20" on the far end of LI).. Major roadways are already clear and the side streets are now being plowed. Also, in larger parks the city is lending sleds to those who don't have them and supplying hot chocolate to all - so we can enjoy something that's fairly rare for us. (Our snow is usually an inch or two - not enough to do anything with.)

Subway service is fine. Those flying or taking the train should contact their carrier (since Phil got almost 2 feet, there are some train delays there).

The reason this works - we are prepared. The city has huge stockpiles of of salt for melting snow/ice left after plowing and sand for slippery roadways. Sanitation department has cancelled all leaves and the entire force is working around the clock in 12 hour shifts with more than 2000 enormous plows and 350 salt spreaders. (This is in addition to the MTA equipment and staff that clean airports, bridges and tunnels.) School roads/parking lots will be cleared by tomorrow am - so school is back on.

So - if a little snow knocks out your town - go to the next city council meeting and find out why the government isn't prepared.

And come visit Ne York, it;s a lot of fun here (as long as you don;t have to dig out your car).
Dec 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Two reasons this does not work everywhere on the east coast. First, financial. cities and towns are making cuts wherever they can - and NYC is rather unique in the density of business, residences and commerce making it more cost effective and essential to clear it up.

Second - location. More southern states do not have the snow as often so stockpiling salt and having enough equipment would be silly most years.

I dispute your statement that NYC snow is usually only an inch or so - I grew up 15 miles from NYC and that was not my memory.

Glad the city is up and running - digging out a car in a city is one of the worst winter jobs - glad I have a garage in Boston area.
Dec 20th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Oh I LOVE the City when we get a big dump of snow. I looked out my window last night and we really did get a blizzard. I couldn't see across the street around 4am.

The city looks pristine when the snow first falls and then kind of a bit sad when the snow gets dirty and slushy and well,,,,yellow....

Yes come and visit anyway, you'll actually find people even a bit more helpful in this kind of weather, kind of like "we're all in it
together" kind of feeling.

What I love is the quiet during and after the storm, not much noise while the snow is falling and after, we're not really sure we want to to out and truck around in all that snow.......what movies are on this afternoonn.......think I'll go check........
Dec 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I lived in NYC the year there was about 50 inches of snow in January and February and the temp never got above freezing. And yes, it was a winter wonderland. You could walk down the middle of Fifth Avenue because the city was closed to only commercial traffic. They were loading dump trucks with snow and dumping it in the rivers!!
It also works in NYC because people don't drive automobiles.
Dec 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Yesterday, Saturday, my wife and I took the short drive to Ventura from Thousand Oaks (California) to see the Met Opera streaming telecast of the Tales of Hoffman. Although it was about 80 outside here, we had a little concern that the performance, which is in real time, might be canceled or some of the performers might not make it because of the weather. Do Opera stars take the subway? I wondered. Anyway, everything went off as planned. You New Yorkers are a plucky bunch!

But I was reminded of how connected we are sometimes.
Dec 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
yk

I don't think it started snowing in NYC until late afternoon yesterday, well after the opera had started. I'm sure many musicians and chorus members and other backstage workers take the subway, but hopefully not the opera stars! I'm pretty sure they have private car service dropping them off at the Met. Can you imagine Anna Netrebko taking the NY Subway? Oh the horror!

But anyway, I'm sure the Met and other performance venues HAVE cancelled performances in the past, if there's a major blizzard going on.
Dec 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM

"I dispute your statement that NYC snow is usually only an inch or so - I grew up 15 miles from NYC and that was not my memory"

15 Miles is like living in another country. What happens in the City (Manhattan) can be way different than the outer boroughs, Long Island or even across the river in New Jersey.

"It also works in NYC because people don't drive automobiles."

Then do tell why there is so much traffic and one can't find a parking spot. Believe me, New Yorkers not only drive, but park lots of them on the streets.

Though there have been some years when we've had lots of snow (still cleaned up pretty quickly), because we have the steam pipes under most streets, takes a lot of the white stuff falling fast for it to stick. I won't even have to wear boots tomorrow when outdoors. Whoopie!
Dec 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM

I did 3 uptown double decker bus tours today. The place to be was Central Park - people were hiking and sledding and enjoying themselves and no they didn't drive to the park - most walked or took the subway which was running just fine!
Dec 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM

While the city is dealing successfully with a foot of snow, be forewarned that it was incredibly slushy out today....and I do mean slushy!
Dec 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Slush will be our major problem over the next few days and ICE. At night the slush will melt so the sidewalks and streets will be slippery, even though there is lots of salt and sand, just be careful and dress for the COLD.
Dec 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM

The corners are particularly bad with snow, slush, and ice.
Dec 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM

Yes, the corners sure were bad yesterday.
Dec 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM

79th and Lex was a huge "ice bath"! What few drivers there were yesterday afternoon were unusually courteous to slow-moving pedestrians.
Dec 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM

Well, 25 inches out by me on the North Shore of Long Island. I could have sworn I lived in Vermont this morning on my way to the train station. Absolutely gorgeous!
Dec 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM

P.S. Someone please tell the LIRR how to deal with snow? Honestly, it doesn't matter how much - they still can't get it together. Delays, delays, delays....
Dec 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM

To each, his own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TAMpzrTDpg

Merry Christmas from Florida!
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

The LIRR has delays in snow, rain, heat and for no reaon whatsoever.

And yes, the snow in the city is often vastly different than if you live north or west - which often gets twice as much.
I'm not saying NYC never gets any snow - it obviously gets a major storm every 4 or 5 years - and smaller accumulations in some years. But some years you will get nothing but and inch or two a couple of times. It varies a lot - but we are about 100 miles south of the snow belt - which gets heavy snow frequently every winter.

And I understand that for cities that get snow rarely even a couple of inches is more than they can cope with. But - then they should just shut everything down until it melts - and keep everyone off the road.

As for diggin out cars - not as issue for most people in Manhattan - who either don;t have one or keep it garaged.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

"As for diggin out cars - not as issue for most people in Manhattan - who either don;t have one or keep it garaged."

Or, if they park their car on the street, are happy when it snows a lot because alternate-side-of-the-street parking rules will be suspended and they won't have to move the car for a few days.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

<<>>

Exactly what happened here in San Francisco in 1976 - the last time I remember an accumulation of snow in the city.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM

Not a problem - not exactly

We were in NYC last week and woke up Friday morning to hear all the local stations talking about the snow on the way. Fortunately we got on the phone and changed our flight from Sat evening at 7pm, to get out of town on Friday. Now I would have loved to walked thru Central Park in the snow BUT flights were cancelled at LGA from about 3 pm on Sat until ???? on Sunday. I'm thankful we got out - I figure we either would have been at the airport or scrambling to find a hotel room $$$$????? since the airline doesn't pay if the cancelation is weather related. To IMO that snow would have been a problem!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO