Should the snow storm deter us from heading to NYC to see The Gates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've planned a quick (one day) visit to NYC with four young teens to see The Gates, have lunch & walk around the city a bit. We are from RI and plan to leave at 7:00 AM and take the train in from New Haven.

Now I hear the weather forecast for 5 - 8 inches of snow! I don't know how tough the driving to New Haven will be or if trains get delayed or cancelled by this kind of snow. Also, how much snow is expected in the city? Will the paths in the park be cleared?

I would hate to cancel the trip as we were looking forward to this end of vacation jaunt. Also, one of my daughter's friends has NEVER been to NYC before and she was VERY VERY excited!

What to do? What to do?

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Slw

I can't tell you about the driving but I can relate my experience in Central Park last Sunday after the snow. Viewing The Gates after the snowfall was worth the effort. The snow made for a wonderful contrast. I say effort because most of the walkways were not cleared by mid-morning so the going was a bit treacherous in places and messy. Staff were very busy getting things cleared and by afternoon I'm sure it was better. Just wear boots.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:58 AM

This IS a dilema. It really depends on the snow total as well as when the snow will actually end. Some are saying it will end this evening. Here is a link for the Weather Channel forecast for Manhattan.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...ocalUndeclared

I suspect viewing the Gates in a winter wonderland of white would be very interesting. I hope it all works out for you!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM

The weather can be a challenge. I will tell you that our son living up the Hudson was in the City last weekend and was impressed with The Gates.
Ozarks Bill
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Based on the current forecast, the toughest part of your trip will be driving from RI to New Haven. If you can survive/get past that, you'll have clear sailing.
You'll have no problem once you're in the city. Just make sure you are all wearing boots! Earlier this week, a lot of the paths had puddles and some slush. With additional snow predicted, boots are definitely in order!
As some previous posters have written, the snow has enhanced the overall look of The Gates. Despite what some very vocal naysayers are proclaiming, The Gates has been a most successful endeavor.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Comparing The Gates to Ground Zero shows your complete lack of judgement and class.

If there was a poll, how many times would you be voting under PSEUDOnyms Gekko ?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Yes, karinw, ignore that pseudo-intellectual ranter.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Just back from NY and got caught in the snowstorm last weekend, but we were only stuck at the airport - we got out of the city just as it started. Hundreds of irate passengers yelling at ticket agents and into their cell phones trying to rebook wasn't a fun way to end the trip. Was it worth it? Absolutely. We loved the Christo installation. It was fantastic - definitely a once in a lifetime experience. I am only sorry we didn't get to see The Gates contrasted against the snow.

There are some photos on my Webshots page if you are interested:
http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Gekko, Karin asked about the weather and how how it relates to transportation and getting around in the park. You are really out of line and you seem hell bent to get this thread shut down.

It seems that you have a serious problem. I suggest you make an appointment with your psychologist friend and get some help.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Just checking in to see some replies.

I'm really disappointed to see that my "authentic question" about traveling to NYC tomorrow to spend a day with my family and see and discuss a vision of landscape architecture has been taken over by the REDUNDANT opinion of one poster. Since I have read other threads on the merits of the Gates, I FULLY UNDERSTAND GEKKOS OPINION!!! I do not (nor do I think other people) need to hear it again!!!

I just wanted some practical advice which is what I think many people look for in this travel site.

Thanks to all who have offered opinions on my question. We are trying to be flexible on the journey tomorrow and might consider postponing until Saturday. Any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Maggie-
I just looked at your photos. Wow - You have a great eye! I must forward the link to my Mom who visited the Park last Sunday to view the Gates. She was excited by the images in different light and I am sure she would enjoy viewing your photos as well.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Hi Karin...well, the weather people said the snow was to start mid-day but the skies are still pretty bright and there's not a flake in sight. I think you are right, you'll have to play this one by ear and see how it is early tomorrow morning.

I don't think you'll have a problem come Saturday although some of the paths in the park may not yet be cleared. Like other said, just wear boots (and ski pants perhaps )

Once again, have a great trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Karin, Sat may be an easier trip, but there is something very magical about NY in new snow. By the second day, things get a little gray and grimy. I doubt that this will be a problem in the Park itself, but the streets will not be as pretty. I agree that the hardest part of your trip will be the drive to New Haven - I think if you can handle that, and wan't get bothered by some delays, I think you are fine. Where were you planning on having lunch?

And OK, Gekko, I'll bite. I am a New Yorker (and, as your recs for restaurants and bars are often exactly what I would recommend, I cannot believe that our circles are THAT different, although you are certainly involved in many cultural activities at a higher level than I am), and as I have stated before, I loved the Gates. Not so much as art, but as a public spectacle. (there was an article in NY Mag that discussed this point this week.) Yes, they were expensive, but a meal at WD-50 is also expensive, and, although there are many people who don't appreciate Dufresne's type of art (which, for the record, I do, and wish there were more of - can't someone please give Paul Liebrandt a restaurant of his own?), no one blasts you for recommending it or for wasting your money.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

KikiLee-
I was thinking the same thing about new fallen snow. I tend to want to take the chance and go tomorrow but a gruelling two hour drive in a snow storm will not be a great way to start the day. I think we will assess in the AM. My daughter's friends will spend the night so we can wake them up quick if we want to leave and let them sleep if we decide to postpone.

As for lunch, I had posted a question several days ago and received some responses but maybe you also have some ideas.

I was looking for a spot near the Park that might not be too crowded, inexpensive and fun for the girls. Some restaurants suggested included: Freds, Patsy's Pizza, Isabellas, EJs.

My youngest is bringing a friend that has never been to NYC and she wants to take her to Times Square. We've been to Mars 2112 and Ellens too many times and I would like something "better and more local" but my 13 year old is pushing for Ellens. Her name is Ellen so she is a big fan.

If I can shepard us to another spot I will be thrilled!!

Any other ideas????
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Well, normallly I try to avoid Times Square like the plague, but I do agree - at 13, never having been to NY before, it is a must-see. My two go-tos in that area are Virgil's (bbq, and a great beer list, not that it helps you) and Ruby Foo's (stylish, OK food, the girls would probably find it glam but it might be pricier than you are looking for).

You've gotten some good recs for the Upper West Side, though keep in mind that it def a brunch neighborhood and places may be crowded on weekends. Citrus might be another choice, for more of a fusion flair.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Karin I hope the weather cooperates for you! If the kids insist on going to Times Square for lunch, Kiki's suggestions are good, and here is another to think about: John's Pizzeria (serving more than just pizza) is at 260 West 44th. It is converted from a church into a restaurant so it does offer something a little unique in the way of atmosphere.

If you go this weekend, please post back and let everyone know how it went. It looks like the residient pseudo-intellectual ranter is being edited (or will be having lunch again with the shrink on the UWS) so you might have a chance at telling us YOUR opinon of "The Gates". Have Fun!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Thanks, fellow posters, for bringing a sense of good sense and good manners to this posting.
One suggestion to karinw and any others planning to experience The Gates: Make sure you ask any of the volunteers stationed throughout the park for a swatch of the fabric. It makes for a nice souvenir of the experience.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
OO

I'm not at all sure I like The Gates, but your pictures, Maggi, are fantastic! I espcially liked the last one, with the Monet effect. Is that Paint Shop?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks, all, for the kind words <blush>. OO, I used an inexpensive software program called Microsoft Digital Image Pro9. I could spend hours playing around with all the possibilities.

Karin, we didn't find one restaurant that was "not too crowded". It seems that if a place is great, everybody has heard about it and wants to go there. We got really used to standing in lines. If you do find one don't tell anyone (shhh)
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

We decided to wait until tomorrow to head into the city. We would have had a REAL early start to the day with shoveling ourselves out of 8 inches of snow in the driveway!

So, same plan but different day. I am wondering how clean the sidewalks will be both on the streets and the paths in the parks. Obviously, we will wear boots. I did hear NYC received 6 inches of snow so will the sidewalks be shoveled, etc.? We just wonder what to wear???

We are down to four people now as my older daughter and friend have a previous committment they can't change. I probably feel worse about it than they do! But, I suppose four is easier than six to travel around, especially taking cabs, etc.

I'll post back a mini trip report.

Thanks for all the advice.
Karin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -