What is NYC like in the snow?

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 08:25 AM
sue

What is NYC like in the snow?

Message: I read the Washington in the snow message and added this to the bottom of the replys but thought I may get more response posting alone. I apologize if you have read this twice.

Well here I sit in the Washington DC area and watching the snow pile up. It is very beautiful but I have train tickets to NYC tomorrow morning early. What is the city like in the snow? Is it accumulating much? Will we be able to get around easily. Most of our days will be spent walking -do they shovel the sidewalks quickly or should we prepare for artic conditions?! I hope we can make it to Baltimore to catch the Amtrak train!!! All suggestions welcome.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:02 AM
carol

NYC has been around a long time.
It is the busiest city in the USA.
Business goes on whether it's snowing or not.
They have snow removal equipment and personnel.
Life will go on.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:02 AM
a

It is pouring rain here, COLD and WINDY. I would dress warmly and bring waterproof shoes. The city in the rain is a mess. Water flows down into the subway system and it is miserable. The sidewalk corners get flooded. I try to stay indoors.

If it were snowing that would be SOO much better. The city is beautiful in the snow and, therefore, the added difficulty in moving around, doesn't seem so bad. Also, they are usually pretty good about keeping the sidewalks and streets clear. It just depends on how fast and when the snow is coming down. Right now, they are reporting that it will change to snow, but I haven't seen any yet.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 11:17 AM
White

Don't you think DC is much the same as NYC in the snow? I do. The sidewalks get cleared, the slush builds up on the corners so you either jump them or slog through them. It is windy and you will be wet and cold but the streets will still be full of people, busy, and as always for NYC-Full of Life!!!!
THere is no place like New York New York!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 11:11 PM
travelbuff

Looking out my living room window, I think we have about 6 inches of snow, and it is still snowing very lightly. The wind has picked up a bit so the trees covered with snow are swaying in the wind. A pretty picture.

Tomorrow, everyone will be stepping over the snow and by tomorrow the pretty snow will be brownish and dirty, except for Central Park, which will still be pretty for a few days.

The trucks have been going by plowing and salt/sanding all night so I think the roads are clear.

I would wear boots and waterproof shoes while you are here, the snow will probably melt and it will be a mess for walking around.

Have a great time while you are here, and shop, the stores here could use some help, the holiday season has not been very good so now the sales will really kick in so you should get some great prices on just about everything.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:10 PM
r-travels

I think this a good question if one plans to get around on foot a lot. Some cities, like Montreal, have great snow-removal for the sidewalks. Others, in fact - most, require the property owner to clear snow & ice from the walks. Compliance can vary greatly, and some cities enforce this better than others. Walking around DC, other than the government buildings, I've found that apparently many landlords have not yet discovered the snow-shovel. Poorly cleared sidewalks can really slow down travel for those of us who depend mostly on our feet to get around. I've not been in NYC shortly after snowfall, so I can't answer your question, Sue. I hope you'll report back how you found the conditions when you get back.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:10 AM
fairfax

We were in NYC a year or two ago when it snowed about 4 inches late on Saturday night. When we got up the next morning, ALL of the sidewalks were cleared of snow. We were so impressed. We were staying at the Belvedere Hotel on 48th Street or so, and everywhere we walked, the sidewalks were cleaned and salted.